Monday 2 February 2015

STORY-VISITOR

VISITOR
I was going to take bath. It was only eight in the morning , when I saw a stranger  coming on his bike and wondered who it could be, so early in the morning. I hurriedly put on my sari and came down from the first floor, to open the door. He was a very young man, almost a boy, very handsome and fair, with specs. He hesitated for a moment and said:”I am sorry, if I have disturbed you. I came just to see around. My curiosity was aroused and I accompanied him. As he came near the work place, he remarked:”This is the same hut where I used to play with my maid, when I was a child; may I go inside?” “Who are you?”
“My name is Anuj. We stayed here  for a few years, when Papa was constructing our new house.”
“What are you doing now?” “I am studying in college. Do not mind me. Go about yor routine; I shall walk around and see old, familiar places.”
“All have gone to the temple; When Mummy comes, she will entertain you.” I hurriedly finished my bath and joined the boy, who was standing near the old pond, now filled up with mud. “This pond was the place where women folk  took  bath. They taught me how to swim. I was a cute boy and they all fondled me.” “Now also you are very handsome. I liked you at first sight. Come in the house; Mummy has come back.”
I told her all that Anuj said. When she saw him, she exclaimed:”Oh, you are welcome. Please be seated. I shall make something.”
“I am going to the temple, are you coming?” He nodded his head. After breakfast, we went to the Shiva temple. “This was in a poor shape at that time. All walls were broken down. The image of Nandi is the same.”
After prayers, we talked for some more time, while returning home. When he sat on his bike, I ventured:”Is this final bye? I will miss you. Will you give me your number? Which is  your college?” We exchanged mobile numbers.
“I am in tenth class in convent school.” That was the beginning of our friendship. He used to come every Sunday. He told me, his father retired from IOC , Guvahathy. Now they are living at Ayyanthol. Once he took  me to see his father. His mother was very talkative . She asked me about our house. She said nostalgically :”We were very happy then “

“Why don’t you come to see my house, Maji?” It never happened. Anuj too, joined IOC in due course. Then our meetings ended. I failed to assert my love  for him. I took Master’s degree and became a teacher near my village. When a proposal came, I complied., because mother said. ”Love is common at your age. Remember that they are very rich. Will they not expect good dowry for their son? Now he has a good job.” However, I wrote a detailed letter to Anuj. His parents came to my house. The Lady said:”The first time I saw this girl, I decided that she is going to be my daughter-in-law. Let us have this marriage, as soon as possible. My son is coming shortly, to ‘see the girl’

No comments:

Post a Comment