Saturday 7 February 2015

STORY-RETIRED

RETIRED
When I retired from the army, I applied for the job of watchman in the Guruvayoor temple.  I have no family and the service of the Lord was considered a boon.  I was selected. They provided a room for me. Food is free at noon. In the evening, I used to cook food. I did not know what to do with my salary.
My people in the joint family used to come in the temple. I was happy to see them, especially youngsters. I would give them milk pudding, offered to God. Something from the gift shop , will cheer them. My brother was not happy. He would say:”You served the Nation, risking your life. We want that you must stay with us and enjoy life.” But I was not convinced.
One day, A lady standing in the line for darshan asked me how long it will take, to allow her in. She was in front of the line. Her English was faulty and I could easily say she is from Andhra Pradesh. “Madam, you my speak  in Telugu. “ She was visibly relieved::”How do you know my language?” “I was in the Army. I have worked in almost all States. “
She asked me about my nativity, home and children. She was surprised that I am unmarried. “Why did you not marry?” “I may die any day. Will it not be cruel, to leave a widow?” We did not know the passage of time. She may be around forty. She is almost beautiful , her face reminded me of the actress Vyjayanthimala, her colour dark, though. The announcement came that the pooja is over and I allowed the devotees in. After she disappeared from view, I still remembered her. I regretted that I did not enquire about her. When she came to me at about one in the afternoon, it was the first question I asked:”Madam, what is your name? My name is Kundan.” “I am Latha. I live near here, with my son, who is working in Andhra Bank . I am a widow.” “Sorry to hear that.”
Thus our friendship developed. She invited me to visit her on Sundays and gave me her address. Several months passed, but I did not have the nerve to suggest marriage with her.  What if she rdfused?
One day, at about eleven in the morning, a man came to me and handed over a bag . Before I could react, he disappeared. Thinking that He must have gone in. I waited but he failed to return. Before the temple closed, I approached the Manager. “What is this?” “Sir, I do not know. A devotee put it in my hand and went away. He must have given some donation.”. The Manager opened it and found a square packet, carefully made and sealed. When he opened it, we were shocked-it contained thousand rupee notes in Pakistani currency. He told me to count. “Sir I am not good. We shall call the cashier.” The cashier counted . The value was one crore . I suggested that it may be havala money.
The next day, we took it to the bank. There they confirmed that the notes were genuine. By then a news item appeared in the papers that a man was killed by unidentified gunmen. His photo too appeared in the paper. I debated with myself, whether I should inform the Police about the bag . The Manager too felt that we must not be involved.
I was sure that they will  come to demand the money, because this news too had appeared in a local paper that the temple received Pakistani notes. I consulted Latha. She advised me to stay in her home in Andhra Pradesh. I took leave for six months and left.
When I returned to duty, the incident was forgotten by all. Latha and I were married in the temple.


No comments:

Post a Comment