Wednesday 11 February 2015

STORY-BLACK GIRL

DARK
My father got a letter  in which, a girl’s father had enclosed her horoscope and like to know our response . When he found that our horoscopes matched, he directed me to see the girl. I went on my bike, along with my friend, as per the directions given in the letter and reached there by ten in the morning . They told me to see the girl first and took us to a room. A very dark coloured girl came and stood before us. I was very much disappointed, as all in our family are fair coloured. She too will have inferiority complex, if she becomes my wife.
When we came out, the girl’s father asked :”Do you have any job?”
“No. But I am MA, Med. I can get a job in any English medium, private  School. I have written examinations for Government job too.”
He was not impressed and we left, after taking tea and eatables. My friend asked;”Why are you so unhappy with the girl? Is it such a big thing to be fair?” I had no answer.
I was very friendly with a Christian girl , who became a nun Afterwards. She helped me to be a teacher, in primary section of her convent school . Thus we renewed our friendship . We used to open our hearts and I told her about my interview with the black girl. She was unhappy:”Did you think of her? She too might have dreamed of becoming your wife, as I had hoped once. You are so handsome. You should not have broken her heart.” I felt guilty.
I was going to a temple, which was midway between our home and the girl’s house. After prayers in the Vishnu Temple, I was resting under the peepal tree, when a gill in white ‘dhothy’ ad white blouse, with a long pig tail of hair, carrying a closed vessel in one hand passed by me. She was black. I wanted to know whether she was ‘my girl’. I could see only her back. I hurried past her when, hearing the sound of my footsteps, she turned. Seeing me she cried:”Oh! Bhanu, where are you going?”
“I came to this temple; it is my birth day. Where are you going?”
“I am going home. Why don’t you also come with me? Father will be happy . Are you still unemployed?”
I went back and brought my bike. I took her vessel and put it in the carrier. She sat in the back  and we proceeded, talking all the while. I told her about my work and the fact that I am still unmarried. She said she got a job in the town as sales girl.
When we reached her house, all were happy to see me. They insisted that I must have food there. I found that her name is Aparna.
The next day my people went to see her house. The date of our marriage was fixed. I told all this to my nun friend. She was happy.
Our married life failed to produce any children Aparna became sad. I consoled her:”See , one cannot have everything. Raja Dashrath craved for children. When he got children, it became the cause of his death.” She closed my mouth by her hand. I embraced her and kissed her.

The years flew like  a winged bird. My parents passed away. I became sixty, when He took away my beloved. I became lonely. “Is there any job for me in you Church?,” I asked the nun. “For that you must become a Christian.” She said. “I am ready. At least, I will have your company.”

No comments:

Post a Comment