Wednesday 25 February 2015

STORY-OLD MAN


OLD MAN
I remember falling down on the road, but then it was all dark.  When I regained consciousness, I am lying on my bed. All family members are there.  A young girl, whom I do not remember, is sitting near my head.  “Are you alright, uncle?” she asked. “Who are you?” My daughter replied:”It was she who brought you here in her car. Luckily, you have no injuries. How many times I have told you, not to go alone.”
The girl said:”I am your neighbor, recently come there. Now you can call me, when you like to go out. I am free as my education is over. My name is Meena. We have settled here. My parents retired from the telephone department; we were in Bombay.”
I shook hands with her. She is fair but wears thick glasses. “Thank you, daughter. I am already obliged to you.” When she smiled, two rows of even teeth glistened; I liked her.
Our family is big, all five brothers living under the same roof. But , as all are employed, no one is there in the house, except my wife, who is not well. Diabetes and high BP have forced her to the bed. Meals are prepared by the only daughter living with me, as she is working in the near- by School.  After hearing about my fall, all my brothers had come.
Now Meenu began coming daily. She liked to borrow books from me. I had a large collection, Malayalam ,English and Samskrutham. Meenu said:”Uncle, teach me Samskrutham.” “Very difficult. But you can understand the books. I will show you how.  Refer dictionary ; I will give you one.” One day her parents came. They are not as old as I am . Both are not interested in books. “Meenu is full of praise for you,” the father said.
Meenu was curious to know about my life.” There is nothing to know. I hated my father who tortured me without reason.. My mother was very loving, but she left us after we five brothers were born. To escape from my father, I approached his brother, who was working as Bank Manage at Tirupathy. He took me with him and put me in a school. I was brilliant in studies. After MA in English literature, I took BA in Samskrutham. I got a job in the College itself. “
“Did not someone love you in the college?”
“Yes; it was my uncle’s daughter ; but being of the same family, we could not marry. It was this uncle, who arranged my marriage.”
“Poor woman, she is so ill. Did you not feel the urge for sex?”
“Yes. When I felt it, I approached my lady acquaintances.” I took away her thick glasses and looked into her lovely eyes. She touched my arm and pressed it gently. What does it mean? After a few minutes, she deliberately stated, without any emotion:”Sir, it is only a biological instinct. I do not mind it. In fact, I love your company. Marriage is troublesome. I lose my identity.”
During Onam holidays, all members of our family assembled and Meenu was very popular among them. She enjoyed the folk dance and singing. Afterwards, myself and her  parents went together to Tirupathy temple . Up to the railway station the journey was by train. Then she hired a taxi to go up the hills. Menu was very excited, when the car climbed up and up.  She clung to me, ignoring her parents. We stayed in a cottage for several days.
After return home, she distributed the famous Tirupathy ladoos to all.
Shortly, my wife  left this world. Meenu and I felt a relief .
I shifted to her house.

No comments:

Post a Comment