Monday 9 February 2015

STORY-PRINCIPAL

PRINCIPAL
On promotion as Principal, I was posted at the plus two school at Kumbla. I am qualified enough to be lecturer in a college, but accepted this post, as a temporary measure. The peon arranged a room for me on hire There was enough for a bed and for keeping minimum things for making tea etc. In the morning, I go out and have a heavy breakfast at the country hotel. I then proceed to the school, where I go through the newspapers. Then I decide about the brief speech I make in the Assembly. The midday meal is available in the school, as the students also get it. At four the bell rings; all rush out, but not the Principal. I have to see that the doors of rooms are securely locked. And then only, I may go out of the school.
Often I feel that he job of a teacher is better. I have to see that he salary bill is properly made and sent in time, to the treasury.
I worked there for some seven months. During this period, I came into contact with a young lady teacher , whom I liked. I was twenty seven only and too young to think of marriage. But this lady captured my heart. She often came into my room and often we talked.
“Praveena, which is your native town?” I asked. “It is far away in Kochi, Panampilly Nagar.” “Oh, then we are very near; I stay at Trichur. Because of promotion only I came here. I have my parents and a sister.”
“My mother is living with me here. Father is ill most of the time. My brother working in the Bank, looks after him. He is married.”
At her suggestion, I shifted to her house. Hr mother was very glad to have my company. “Ma, land is very cheap here. I am even thinking of buying some land . Selling one cent in our area, we can buy three here. Areca nuts grow here. Even cashew trees are useful, for nuts and as fuel.“
We three used to go for evening walk. Occasionally, e went to the temple, which is some distance away. The happy days came to an end, when I got the post of lecturer, in Kerala Varma College. “Sir, you must not forget us. I shall wait for your letter ,”She said.
But, forget I did. In the Mathematics Department there , a senior student  became crazy about me. She was fashionable and wealthy. Always comes in her car, along with her friends, both boys and girls. I do not know, how she spotted me. I tried to ignore her, but she was not the person to admit defeat. One day, she stopped the car and told me to get in:”Sir, wherever you may go, I will leave you there.” She opened th door and almost pulled me in. I lacked the will, to tell her to go to hell!
She took me to her home. “Sir, I have seen your profile in the face book. I simply love you. Come what may, I will not leave you.” We were alone. She kissed me in the mouth. No girl did it before; I returned her kiss. By this time, we reached her palatial villa. She introduced me to her father.
“Pa, meet my lover.”

I wrote a detailed letter about his girl, to Praveena”Dear, a girl is after me. She was studying in the US, staying with her uncle’s family. Now she has joined the college, to look after her lonely father. I have no reason to doubt her sincerity. Outwardly she looks strong, but she is soft like butter in her heart. I shall always remember you, my first love. Love to Ma” I showed the letter to Zarina. I had told her all my history and experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment