Sunday 15 February 2015

KERALAM 16-MY KRISHNETTAN

MY  KRISHNETTAN
We are cousin brothers. Krishnan of Veembur Kadalayil Mana, at Pazhai near Pudukad, studied in St. Antony’s School Pudukad and then graduated and took his B.Ed in Malayalam. He joined CMS School, Trichur and did not marry.  For a long time he stayed at Pattathu Mana, in an outhouse, where he kept his stove etc. for a long time, though he shifted to the Bangalow at Kottikal house.
When we were at Pazhai, we became very close. Communist ideology bound us together. We worked together for Panchayath election in 1955, if I remember correctly. We won, defeating Janardanan , a tile factory owner.
It was Krihnettan who introduced me to the library in the Ashram at Ambalakdavu, the land for it was donated by Veembur Mana. There were English books, with illustrations.  This was how, I fell in love with that language, which comes naturally when I write, much easier than   Mathrubhasha.
I remember operating a ‘kotatheku’ at the Veembur tharavadu. A conical bamboo frame is filled with mud and suspended from a bamboo pole, from a fulcrum. The other end is manipulated by Ettan or me, to draw water from the well, by means of a wooden bucket. I used to get tired easily. Ettan would laugh. We used to dig pits there for planting ‘chena’.
For some time, Ettan worked as cashier in a restaurant in Ootty. One Thirumulpadu , a friend of the Veembur family, arranged this. When he returned, Ettan became red as tomato. I felt envious.
When I was at Manavazhi, Krishnettan used to come there. One day we started walking , reaching Arattupuzha, Thottipal, Rappal etc. and then Paszai. We never felt tired.

Ettan became paralytic and ws bed ridden for a long time. It was Appu, Ettan’s brother’s son, who looked after him. He engaged a cook and maid servant, to look after him. He suffered stoically, without grumbling. He died in his sleep. I went to see him. I went round the dead body, but did not prostrate, as is customary. I said in my mind:” Comrade, Lal Salam”

No comments:

Post a Comment