Thursday 5 February 2015

BROTHER'S MARRIAGE

BROTHER’S MARRIAGE
At the age of thirty five, my brother married Leela of Pazhedath Mana, at Cherpu, near the Bhagavathy temple. She may be around thirty, unable to marry till then. It was my aunt, Anujan ammaman’s wife, who initiated this move. Brother was working as poojaru at Mappat Mana at that time. He got Rs. 2500 as dowry. As we were homeless, she continued to live in her own home, a joint family , till we bought this house at Chathakudam, for six thousand , the dowry I got at the time of my marriage in 1963.
Brother continued to stay at Mappat, visiting his wife occasionally. Their only son was born at that time. It was the same aunty, who recommended the purchase, which was a wise decision, though, I had to manage without the money needed to buy minimum furniture and utensils.  The plot, with an old house, is near the Sastha temple. There is plenty of water and fresh air and I am thankful to aunt forever. She loved me like a son . I stayed with her, during my study in St. Thomas College.

But the marriage spoiled my brother’s life. They could never get own well with each other. Leela showered all her love, on her son and thoroughly spoilt the child. She has much to complain about my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment