Saturday 24 January 2015

STORY-RUBBER PLANTATION

RUBBER PLANTATION
There was gloom, throughout the workers’ colony. The owner has notified that the plantation has been closed. One month’s pay may be collected and we ma y go away.
As the leader of the workers’ union, I have added responsibility.  We called a meeting, to plan our future . It was well attended. I told them:”Comrades!
This plantation has become uneconomical. Half the trees are over aged; these have to be cut down. Fresh saplings have to be grown. It may take at least five years to mature.  The cost of rubber is going down. This is affecting almost all plantations.
My suggestion is that we must continue to work here, with half salary. Each one must take a  share of rupees one hundred. We will get assistance from the Rubber Board and loan from the Bank. The details of my plan is described in this note. Ann, please distribute copies of the note in this meeting. We shall meet again, tomorrow. “
We were about to disperse, when a gentleman in plants and coat, came from the back row and asked me:”Don’t you remember me?” It is Vinod:”How are you here? You were in the gulf”
”Yes; tell them to stay.” I announced and the workers remained in their seats. Vinod continued:”Friends, you must not worry about wage cut. I shall pay full wages. I have wound up my business and come to India to invest money here. My friend is an able and reliable man. I have full faith in him. As he suggested, buy shares. The balance money will be mine. I had learned about the crisis in this industry. The experts believe that things may look up, after a period of a few year. Another suggestion is to have a cattle farm and bee hive production to utilize the robber tree flowers. This way, loss from the rubber, can be compensated. Thank you.” After the meeting we went to my rom. Ann came with us and she prepared tea. Vinod asked:”Are you still unmarried? This girl?”  She is Ann, my assistant in the  union; without  a stable job I was afraid to marry.” “She is a sweet girl. Why not marry her.?” She looked shy.
We discussed all details. The cattle farm will have to be managed by a separate Manager. Vinod will contact the concerned departments in the Government. I too went with him, as he is new to our set up. He got an experienced man for Manager’s post, through his friends. Bee keeping is more difficult.  We approached the department of  Khadi for training in bee keeping.  When we returned after ten days, all were excited.  Ann said, they are asking for money. She handed over the share money received.  I told Ann, to announce a meeting immediately. She was given a cheque for the money to be disbursed as salary.
The inauguration of the new plantation was very grand. Hearing about our achievement, other unions also came to study things at first hand.
I was appointed Manager, with a salary of ten thousand. Ann agreed to marry me.


No comments:

Post a Comment