Tuesday 27 January 2015

STORY-RENU

RENU
When I entered the railway station, the train was already at the platform. I stood in the que, and waited impatiently, all the while looking at the train. After getting the ticket, I ran just in time to board the train, which had begun moving. I managed to get in.”This is ladies’ compartment ,”said the woman standing near the door.  It was Renu. “You have become a big woman ,”I said. “Sir, where were you all these years? I have been trying to contact you all these days.” “It is a long story. We shall talk, after settling in our seats.” I took her to the AC compartment, as it was connected with the next . I told the TT to give two tickets to Ernakulam, where she lived. After sitting comfortably, I began:”It is a long story. I am now researching in a new field, with grant I obtained from an American University. Presently, a team of students, doing their PhD. In Calicut University, is assisting me. I have to check the data collected by them, dictate my notes and send monthly reports to my American sponsors In fact, I am busy all the day and half of the night. Tell me  your stoery.”
“There is nothing to tell. I did my graduation and now my marriage has been fixed. Will you not come to my house?” This girl was hardly six, when I went there to stay, as the house was near my college. I used to coach her in swimming. She did well under my tutelage and won prizes in children’s events. “Do you still practice?”
“My parents do not allow me to wear swim suite, when I became big.”
“That is a pity. Who is your prospective husband?” She showed me the photo, a mustached man, about to become bald. “Did you like him?” “Not really, but he is very rich and my father agreed.”
We had reached Ernakulam and I hired a taxi.



I felt sorry for the girl, whom I loved as my own daughter. She had a great future as an athlete . Then many would have coveted her hand.
There were only two weeks for the marriage and I decided to stay there. Every day we used to go to the pool. There, she would wear the swim suite. It s a marvelous sight, to see her nearly naked body. We both would swim. She picked up speed very soon. In the afternoon, we would go riding her scooter. I sat in the rear, as I did not have the balance. We enjoyed life, as never before. Often we went to see cinema. I used to contact my staff, doing research and assured them, that I would be back in a few days.
At last, the day of marriage came. It was in the evening and all guests had arrived.
At about four in the evening, a messenger came and told, the man had gone back to the Gulf. A pall of gloom spread in the house. I saw  Renu, to console her. She was not unhappy. She told in my, she is happy. There was a twinkle in her eyes.
Her father called me:”Anand, you can save me. It seems mysterious. They wanted the dowry money, ten days in advance. I sent a message yesterday, about my difficulty. That may be the cause. Anyway, that is over. If you marry her, the situation can be changed. We have not told any one. Let he marriage ceremony begin. You be the bridegroom; I am sure Renu will like it. Only thing is, we have no time to inform your parents.”
I said:”I will call them on phone.”

The ceremony was performed, as planned earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment