Monday 19 January 2015

STORY-INNOCENT

We used to meet frequently, though we are not neighbors, because we go to  the town in the same bus.
I try to talk to him, but he is too shy to open his mouth. He would smile shyly and that is all we have to bind us.  Yet I like him because of his innocence. He is guileless as a child. He belongs to a rich family of land owners ; some of his elder brothers are in the IAS cadre. When I see them in the pooram festival, they talk to me politely, because my father is a retired teacher and many of them are his students. When I ask about my friend Hari, they also laugh:”We do not know what to do. Even as a child, he remains silent. How will he face the interview board? There he has to impress them.” I was away from home for a long time. I stayed with my uncle in Bombay and lost contact with my friend. I tried hard and got a job in a private Company, in the computer section, in Bombay itself. I was twenty five and marriage proposals came; I rejected them, on one ground or other. Why did I do it, I asked myself. Foolishness, to feel a fancy for Hari, who is so shy. If they suggest marriage for him, he will quietly agree, even if he has soft feelings for me.
I used to go home once every year. He is in Calcutta, they told me. I got his address and wrote to him. It was not a love letter, but I did hint, about my feelings.  After one month, I got a reply.
“Dear  Sarasu,
It is nice to read your letter; I was reminded of our good old days. Will those days come back? I became to involved with my work, which requires meticulous planning and hard work. Often I go to sleep after midnight. There are some Malayalees, but none is close to me. I live the life of a recluse. Write often,
I remain your best friend ,
Hari.” It did not give me any hope, at least we can continue our correspondence.  Months passed and ultimately, I had to surrender to my father’s wish. He fixed a marriage with a school teacher. I sent him the card , without any comment. He regretted that he is unable to attend the marriage. “I hope our friendship will continue; write to me as before.” I could hardly stop my tears.  “What is the matter?” my friends asked.  In the bed, at first night, I remained immobile, unable  to respond. All the while, Hari was in my mind.
A few years passed.ave birth to a boy. My mother came to stay with me, as I bought a flat on loan.
We heard that a new boss is coming in our office. All were excited. It was Hari. I could hardly believe my eyes.
He called all staff in his chamber and asked about their welfare. When my turn came, I went in weeping. He came and held me in his arm:”It was my mistake, dear. I should have been more strong. Could you come to my hotel?” He kissed me again and again. “This is not the end. We remain united for ever . I will not marry another girl.”

I gave notice for divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment