Friday 23 January 2015

KERALAM-3

Daily life
Those were heavenly days. It was heightened by the presence of  a star-a slight girl, somewhat fair, named Sangeetha, studying in St. Mary’s College, Trichur. All her expenses were met by me, she being Sreej’s niece. They were very poor. Sreeja’s sister worked in Khadi centre and her husband, a lame fellow worked as poojari. I think Sreeja used to send money to her mother, as they were depending on her income, for survival. The girl was always first in her class; she would go up to her aunt’s room, after coming from the college and having refreshments and come back, on completing her work, though we will be watching TV. My wife too treated her as a daughter.
We never felt that we were living in hired accommodation. Damu used to give us mangoes, jack fruit, turmeric etc. free; he is a good farmer. In the morning, K.K.Raman will bring fresh cow’s milk . He had purchased a car, very old, the make of which is not available in the market. He tried to learn driving, but abandoned the idea, when his car hit and damaged the parapet by the approach road; but the car was parked in the shed, in front of our house. I am very particular about all dues being paid on the first of the month. I will give two 500 notes to Indu, (Damus’ wife), the rent paid in advance each month. She is sweet as her name, ‘moon’, and very loving.  I miss her now, as we are living in our own house.
I used to go on a walk in the morning, usually to Naruvakulangara, my mother house, where my aunt is lying ill. I will shout Sasi’s name and he too will join us and it was a good entertainment for my aunt, who loved me as her own son. Poor aunty was laid up in the bed for a long time.
One evening Sasi told me to see her, but I ignored it, as it was about to rain and I had no umbrella. That night she breathed her last.
One night, there was rain and wind; in the morning Sasi collected a bag full of mangoes and gave it to me. With much difficulty, I carried it to the bus stop. I had to wait. The auto driver demanded more money than the cost  of mangoes and so I waited for a long time till the bus came. From the stop at Manavazhi, I had to carry it all the way home. But my wife was thankless.  Indu had also given mangoes.

To supplement the gas, we used to buy wood fuel, for which I had to locate the half truck carrying fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment