Monday 19 January 2015

STORY- OLD MAN


 OLD MAN
I had gone to the Bank, to withdraw some money. My attention was drawn to an old man, his appearance singularly attractive, with feather white hair and no trace of baldness. His face was orange coloured and he had a big diary, with which, he was trying to fill forms for depositing money, making DD etc. I went to him and asked:”May I help you?”
“Who are you?” “I am Saira, a teacher in play school. Seeing you, troubled with all these forms, I thought I could help.”
I sat beside him and began the work. When completed, I was about to go, when the old man called me back.. “Today may manager took leave, that is why I had to come. If you like, I shall show you my house.”I followed him and sat beside him in his car.
The bungalow is really big and fantastic, with the big lawn and pool with fishes inside. As we came in, the maid asked me:”What would you prefer, tea or fruit juice?” I said juice. She came back after some time, with mixed fruit juice and bournvita for the old man.
“I have only my son in the States. Otherwise I am lonely. If you come, it will be good company. Where are you staying?”
“Alone, in a lodge; mother cannot come because of old age.”
Here we have many rooms. You can chose one. Why bother? You are like a daughter for me.” His driver took me to my lodge and I brought my bedding etc.  The old man has plenty of books, both Malayalam and English. Almost daily, there will be phone calls from America. I too used to talk.  Months passed and one fine morning he (the son-Alex) came and surprised all., because he came without any intimation. He is tall and hefty. His arms are full of hair. I liked him. He came and shut himself up, in his room. The old man told me, he has suffered set back in business.
I took courage and went in:”Good morning Alex! How are you?  I am glad you came. “ “I too am happy, to see you in person; you look smart.”
We went on chit chatting and the old man too joined. In the end, I suggested outing, to see the hills.
The tour lasted for a month and all enjoyed it. Alex became relaxed.
I :”If shares are falling, this is the time to buy. Invest heavily and when things look up, sell shares..”
“You are a genius.” He shook hands with me. He went back to the States.
After another year, he sold the shares and won a fortune.  “Congratulations, dear.  I do not know whether you like me. If you have no objection, may I marry you?”

I consulted with my mother and she agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment