Sunday 20 September 2015

STORY-HERO


STORY-HERO He was our hero in the college. Handsome and articulate, he is the leader in the College Union. We girls liked him and wanted to befriend him. We used to invite him into the canteen and feed him . He liked to eat. One day I took him out in my car and we went to a restaurant . During the talk, he explained his background. “My father was a drunkard. Due to this weakness, he lost the Government job and we were forced to vacate the Government quarter. Now we are living in a rented house in the slum area. My uncle is financing my studies.” “What happened to father?” “He came in front of a car; he was fully drunk. It was a good riddance.” “How can I help you? I have plenty of money. Take this ATM; INFORM ME WHEN IT IS NEAR ZERO” He accepted it after much persuasion. I felt happy. My hero is now within my reach. I know our marriage is an impossibility. At least, we can love freely. It is a great consolation. He was senior and left the college earlier . I persuaded my father to give him some job in his business . He began studying hard to get through IAS. He was working up to midnight. He was given one room in my house. One day we went to see his mother. She was glad to see me. She was doing tailoring to earn money. My hero (Vipin) gave her his salary and a sari. He asked her:”Do you like this girl?” I bent forward and touched her feet. She embraced me. After completing my studies, I went to Calcutta to meet my grandfather who was very ill. I decided to stay on there, because of grandmother’s condition. Doctors said the end is near. I was in Calcutta when I was a child. Grandmother came to Keralam only once, if I remember correctly. Her husband was a Chatterji. A young man of this family used to talk to me often. He is a Professor not yet married. I liked him and we used to roam in the City often. It seems grandma also approved of this alliance. I did talk to Vipin often, but the old enthusiasm was waning . My new hero fully occupied my mental horizon . I almost felt guilty. In this case, there is no objection to marriage. Yet my old fondness for Vipin remained. One day my father informed that he has passed IAS examination and is appearing for interview in Delhi. Before returning home, he intended to visit Calcutta. He talked highly about his work in our business and wanted to him a suitable gift. He asked me to suggest the gift. In the meantime, grandma passed away and I returned to Keralam with my father who had come to attend her last rites. He asked me whether I liked Vipin and I said yes. He suggested that he has no objection to our marriage. So our marriage was decided during the plane journey itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment