Tuesday 29 September 2015

CLERK


STORY-POST OFFICE CLERK OLD MAN I got appointment order in a remote Post office as postal clerk. I was just twenty and a little worried to go alone. My parents were old and unable to travel. So I wrote a letter to the Post Master of the place mentioned in the order, requesting him to arrange a temporary accommodation. A copy of the order was also enclosed. First I travelled by train, then two hours by bus and got down at the place, which I had already told to the conductor. It was already four and I rushed to the Post Office, which is quite near the bus stop. The Post Master, an old man was waiting for me an we went to the house where he had arranged my accommodation, It is an old house, standing on a vast estate. The house owner was happy to see a young fair girl and assured me of all help. His wife had died of cancer some two months back and he is still to recover from the loss. “ Sir you are like a father to me. I shall take care of you. Where are your children?” “Three daughters are in Delhi; my son is in the States. My daughters want me to come to Delhi, but I want to die here.” Next day, I reported for duty at nine thirty. The office was open, but the staff had not come. One by one, they all came and the Post Master told me to sell stamps. It was easy. Registration of letters was done on computer . He asked me to learn it.”You are young; you can learn easily.” At lunch time, we all take food brought from home. There is no official break. “Madam, where do you come from?” “This is my first appointment. My name is Sunanda; you call me Sunu. My native place is Iduki.” “Oh. So far away.” Soon we became riends. Some two years passed. I began work on the computer and was very quick. I noticed a very young man who came almost daily and spent a lot of money on sending applications to various companies. One day I asked him. “What is your qualification? Can you not try here itself?” “I am a post graduate. Here we cannot get a job without recommendations. My brother in the Gulf says I must first get a job and then only go there. I hope to get something.” I felt sympathy for the young chap. A teacher working in Government School, used to come often. Apparently he had no business here. The post office being a public place, no one can object to his coming. One day, I called him outside and asked:”What is the matter with you?” “Madam, I like to talk to you alone.” I gave him my home address and told him to come there, after calling on phone. When he came in the evening , my house owner talked to him. “You keep away; let me talk to him,” he told me. He dismissed the teacher and then talked to me.”He is not a bad guy. He will bring bio-data and horoscope; we shall send it to your father and seek his advice.” I said nothing but, at heart, my liking was for that young man, trying for work in the Gulf. Meanwhile, father replied that I should bring him with me. “Sir, I do not like to travel alone, with an unknown man. Will you come with m?” So we three went to my home, in his (Sir’s) car. When he saw the place among hills and forests and plantations, Sir became very excited. “I am too old, otherwise, I could have married my little daughter!” I fervently prayed to our Devi that she must help me. After discussions, my father said, he must wait for six months. On our way back, we saw Prambikulam Wild Life Sanctuary. Sir thanked me for showing it to him. The sad news came that my man died in an accident. I asked Sir:”How old are you?” “Fifty.” “It is not to old. Mother used to say that a man is always young. Will you marry me?” He consulted his daughters. They agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment