Tuesday 29 September 2015

PANCHALI


STORY-PANCHALI Death In the country boat from the other side of the river, came a stranger, in pants and long shirt, was noticed by all. He did not know the place and enquired about the house, where an old woman died. I knew the house, because I was her neigbour. So I volunteered:”I shall take you there. What is your name and where do you come from?” “Who are you?” I began walking and he followed me. When we reached the rice fields, I again asked ”Have you taken food? The house is a bit far away. You won’t get anything on the way.“ Again he kept mum and so I took him to the shop at the centre of the village. He sat on a bench and I stood by. “Come and sit by my side, girl”. I hesitated but had to obey him. He had the look of nobility and I felt I should not disobey him. He ordered vada and strong tea for both of us. “Light tea for me,” I said. While w were taking tea, an Auto came by and I shouted:”Please stop.” He paid the bill and we go into the auto. He opened his mouth:”I saw in the obituary column of the paper about the death of my great grandmother, who I had never seen. I am a teacher; thank you for your courtesy. What are you doing? “I am a farm worker. I used to work in their field.” The auto stopped and he paid him. I took him to the house, where a number of people were there. The karanavar asked:”may I know who you are?” “I am Kumar, the eldest son of Karthikeyan.” “Oh, come and sit by me. I have not seen you for a long time. How are all there?” He complied. Finding my presence unwarranted now, I came back to my house. The next day Sir came to my house.”Good morning Saar. What can I do for you?” “By the morning train I am leaving. If you come with me, I can give you a job, with regular salary. Get ready now itself.” Mother was hearing our conversation:”Go. God has sent Saar to us.“ I was too happy for words and put my cloths in a bag. I wore a sari and went with Saar. It was my first travel to such a distant place and every sight enlivened my spirits. I was sitting close to him in the railway compartment, full of people. His body pressed against mine and I, a girl of sixteen, was thrilled. On the way he bought things to eat, but kept mum. When we reached Kumla, we got down. It was evening. On the way, he broke his silence:”What is your name?” “Chakki.” “Is it a name? We will call you Thankam. How much have you studied?” “Fourth standard. High school is far away. I had to work to help mother. Father is a drunkard.” “Don’t worry; I shall teach you English and arithmetic.” We reached the house and a woman opened the door. “Dear, I have brought this girl as our servant; how did you manage, in my absence?” We went in. A small baby was sleeping on the bed, very fair and cute, like Saar. I changed my dress and began sweeping the floor. Madam told me to prepare tea and showed the items in the kitchen. I brought tea in cups and they began to take it. I watched with and was pleased when Saar said it is good tea. “Take tea and behave like one of the family; no formalities. You may watch TV if you are free.” The baby cried and madam took it to feed. Saar went out to buy things for the kitchen. Thus began my new day. I prayed to our Devi in my village and slept soundly in a separate room. The next day, he took me to the School and went to meet the HM, taking me with him:”This girl I brought with me as a help. As we are not having a peon, I thought we could give her that job.” The HM, an old man with specs, eyed me for some time and said:”She is too young and beautiful. I wonder how grown up boys will react. Anyway, it is your responsibility. We can employ her on daily rated basis.” My joy knew no bounds. Saar showed me around and told my duties. We went to teachers’ room and introduced me to them. In the night, I wrote a detailed letter to mother. Four years passed. Rarely they went to their ancestral home. I think Maadam did not like her mother-in-law. A teacher, whose wife passed away long ago, had a fancy for me. He asked me whether I could marry him. I replied that my Saar is my guardian; he must ask Saar. When I mentioned this, Saar was not in favour of it. He used to hold me in his arm and often kissed me. One day, I overheard a discussion between the husband and wife. “Dear, would you mind, if I have sexual contact with this girl? I like her.” Madam told him it is alright.. The years passed and I became apprehensive. I Told a lie:”Saar, I missed my monthly course.” Then he told me to marry the teacher who loved me. The next week my marriage was registered.. A boy was born after one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment