Tuesday 29 September 2015

SECOND MARRIAGE


STORY-SECOND MARRIAGE My marriage with a member of the Royal family was arranged by my uncle. I was a die hard Communist and soon her father told me to quit politics or get lost. A close friend of mine, who is also like me, a Namboodiri, advised me not to be hasty, but my youthful enthusiasm for the Part, forced me to continue in its activities. I made the Party office as my temporary home, as elections had been announced. After the election, one comrade told me to contact the HM, of the school at Mangalore, where English is he medium of instruction. I went there and got the job; I am MA in English and my mark list impressed her, a Malayalee lady, very fair and hardly thirty. She told a friend and my temporary stay was arranged. Time passed; I fell in love with a Karnataka teacher of another school, married her and had several children by her, both boys and girls. I began to fret, but my father-in-law would not hear of birth control. “My whole property is for her; why should you bother?,” he would ask. The eldest daughter, Malathy, got a job in Kannada medium school in Mangalore itself and another one became a sails girl in a shop. Others were in school only, my one son aspiring to be a doctor and attending coaching class.. In due course, I became the Principal, now that the school introduced plus two classes. One day, my wife suggested going o Keralam. “I have heard so much about your country. Never had occasion to see. Why not we all go there during vacation?” She looked at me so fondly that I reluctantly agreed. She still loved me and kissed thanks. I wrote to my friend in the Palace and he was very eager to see me. I felt a bit ashamed to go with a platoon of children, but my family did not bother about it. After visiting Kanyakumary, Thiruvananthapuran, Kollam, Alleppy etc. we got down at Kochi, had our lunch and then went to see my friend. He was excited at seeing us and we went on talking about the past. His wife took the others around to see the palace. There are a number of palaces, all very big and old fashioned and it took a long time for them to come back. I asked:”What is my ex-wife doing? Is she remarried?” He immediately took the phone and connecting me, gave I to me without an comment. “Halo, may I know who is at the other end?” “Hear me, then find out.” “My Namboodiripad! You are calling after such a long time. How are you? Are you not married?” “Come to palace number 16. I am talking with my friend. It was he who connected me with you.” “Be there; I am coming in two minutes.” I prayed that she is before my family comes back. It happened and she presented herself. She is older, but youthful in her manners.”How happy I am you have no idea. They pressed me to marry again, but I refused. I cannot love any one else.” Before I could respond, my people came. “Meet my wife and children. “ They all talked in English, of course. My ex-wife called me to come out and said:”It will be better if you all come to my house. I am alone, after partition of our property. I have several rooms to accommodate all of you.” So she and myself went in her car and others followed in autorickshaws. “I feel envious. It was my mistake. I could have come with you, wherever you went.” There were tears in her eyes. I wiped her face with my hankie. Both of us became silent till we reached her house. It is quite big. She told the maid to prepare eatables:”They do not know Malayalam; ask me.” In the night, they all went to see Hindi movie. I excused myself , saying I wanted totake to take rest. That night we remained in her bed after the maid left.”You are my lawful husband, as we have not divorced. Treat me as you did in our first night.” We stayed there for a full month. She gave us a van and driver. who can speak English. I remained with my ex-wife:”We were class mates and I have seen all these temples many times. Now let me take rest.” So during day time, we lived like old times. It was our second honey moon. When we returned, she also came with us. She advised me to take VRS.”Now your daughter is earning. She can manage the household. You come to my home. You can say you want to do bhajan at the temple of Sree Poornathrayeesha for one year. Thus we were united again.

No comments:

Post a Comment