Sunday 20 September 2015

CALLING BELL


CALLING BELL We say calling bell; but now the buzzer is common. There is considerable variety in the sound produced, when we press it. Normally, unpleasant ear-piercing sound is produced, but sometimes sweet music is heard, ending in the words ”Please open the door.” Some produce gayathry manthr-om bhoor bhuvsawa…;or om namassivaya. A real bronze dumb bell , like the one we see in the temple, is not uncommon. My experience is that in such houses, the inmates are likely to buy books. A rare experience comes to mind. The door was open and a man was sitting in the far back, reading. I pressed the buzzer and the man came shouting angrily:”Can you not see me? Why did you not call me? By pressing the bell, you have wasted my electricity.” I said sorry and did not even show my book. Have you ever thought of the reason for hanging a bell in the temple? My uncle explained it:”Gods are always sitting with closed eyes, meditating. When we ring it, they open their eyes. We Namboodiris introduce ourselves and greet God:”I am Subramanin; please accept my obeisance.” “Subrahmania Sharma nama ahamasmibho.” Then we hold our ears crosswise , left ear with right hand, and bow . Uncle told me one more thing. As we are visiting Him, we must sit in front of Him at least for a few seconds. Do we not sit, when we visit a relative?

No comments:

Post a Comment