Thursday 19 March 2015

STORY-WIVES


WIVES

We are four wives of four brothers, all living under the same roof. But our background has considerable variation , because our maiden life was spent in different corners of India. The Punjabi wife cannot speak Malayalam, because it was a love marriage. Somehow, I the senior most wife, liked her because we are educated and speak English. Her name is Kaur and she is still childless.

Among brothers is a fifth named Anuj , very cute and still unmarried . He was ten only when I was married and I fondled him like a son. For anything, he will come to me, not the father, who is a farmer, never went to school.

The family members attended all functions like Onam, Vishu, Thiruvathira etc, except Delhiwali Kaur, who came only for Onam which she liked very much, She loved this place but grumbled about the old house; she wanted it to be reconstructed, with individual bed rooms. She said she wanted to sleep with her husband every day. Maji did not like terrace buildings, it was she who held the veto in all matters.

One day father-in-law had a heart attack and all came home except Kaur; of course, her husband flew immediately and remained here only till all examinations were conducted and the Doctors were satisfactory about his health. However, they told that a second attack could be fatal.

During this period Anuj brought a black girl whom he described as his friend. To me, he confessed that they loved each other. He was waiting to get a stable job. As is his habit, he lay on my lap and pleaded for help.

”Anu, she is a scheduled caste girl. Will Maji agree?” “They have reservation in employment. She is BA and has appeared in staff selection exam. She is sure to get selected.” “I will speak when the time comes,” I replied.

Now, Delhiwala Doctor too insisted on reconstruction of the house and prepared a plan and sent to us. I wanted to have an open court yard at the centre. It was agreed. He had sent advance money to start the work. A local contractor was chosen to do the work. All were excited and there was a festive atmosphere . During this period, Anu’s friend got a job in the Collectorate . I chose a proper moment to broach the subject:”Maji, times are changing. Now we have to consider the likes and dislikes of children . Anu likes the black girl. She is employed. If we refuse , they can get the marriage registered. Sini is an intelligent girl .”

“Are you happy?” “Maji, you know Anu is my favourite . I cannot refuse him.” So it was decided. Anu became so excited that he kissed me ! The marriage was to coincide with the house warming ceremony.

Sini came every day. She would spend time with me. I found her sensible and began to like her. Her eyes are wonderful and magnetic. Anu secretly carried her photo in his purse. Now he is only twenty five.

Invitations for the two functions (marriage and house warming) were sent in advance, to enable people to arrange reservation in trains.

Finally the day arrived . I bought a necklace to be presented to Sini (Vilasini is the full name)

Muhurt was in the night . I ushered the girl to Anu’s bed room. I embraced them both and wished them all the best.

The next day, father-in-law breathed his last

 

No comments:

Post a Comment