Sunday 1 March 2015

STORY-VACILLATING HEART

STORY
My father is a Railway employee. We were staying at Jaipur near the Civil Station, in a big house, owned by Durgadanji. We had only a small room but being a girl, I had freedom to go anywhere inside. Maji had a cow and we used to take milk from her. Her husband was BDO and used to come rarely.  In the evening, Gurgadanji, who was Director in the State Government, used to relax in his ‘charpoy’ placed in the front garden. I used to sit there and study, as it was hot inside our room. The old man used to talk to me and I would ask questions about the things I could not understand. I was in the tenth standard.
The BDO has two sons. Om, the elder, was in the college and was rarely seen. His brother Gobind, ten years old, was naughty. He would peep through the ventilator , when I am taking bath. I would then throw water on his face. At heart, I enjoyed it.
After passing tenth, I joined college in Delhi . My contact with the BDO family was lost. In the college, I had several girl friends  and a few boys. One belonged to the Bajaj family and we felt we were in love, though both of us did not mention the word. He used to come in his car. Often we used to roam about.
My father retired and settled in our home town near Amrithsar. Often I used to think of the days I spent at Jaipur. Is Gobind still naughty?
I got a job in the Railway, by the influence of my father. This time I got a Railway quarter hired from a friend of my father. He had a spare room and I paid only a small rent.
One day I went to see the BDO family. Durgadanji was no more, Gobind has become very tall and was doing business in the town. Om was there, still unmarried, Maji told me. “Why don’t you marry him?” You have to talk to my parents.” Gobind began visiting me often. He has a scooter. He would take me to see films and dine at costly restaurants. He never misbehaved. I wished at heart, he became naughty again. I was eager to hear the words “I love you” from Gobind, but held myself in check and behaved cool . Can I tell Maji?.
Suddenly Bajaj came “I tried hard to get your address . Some of our friends told me you are in the railway and then I managed to get it right. Take some days leave”

“But, you must speak to my parents first.” “Yes , first we go there.” So, suddenly I got detached from Gobind. I felt sorry. Of course, my parents were too happy to have a Bajaj as son-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment