Friday 6 March 2015

STORY-BRAVE WOMAN

BRAVE WOMAN
I was working as a teacher in Government School. On the first of each month, I got my salary.  On the way home, I stopped I front of the grocery shop and paid him some amount. “Sir, the balance is increasing ,” the merchant will grumble. I know ; today itself I sit with my wife and prepare the budget for the month. Children’s education is the main concern. We have six girls, all very intelligent and good to look at. We have to save enough for their marriage. So, there are many chit funds to pay.
“The grocer reminded about the balance amount ,” I reminded my wife. “Next month, we will sell the bananas, which will be ready. “
Ours was a love marriage, she belonging to the backward class of Ezhuwas, known to be hard working and physically fit. She was my student and I had warned about the difficulties ahead. “Do you love me or not?” Looking into her eyes, how could I lie? We got our marriage registered. I demanded my share of our property. With that money, we bought a plot near the school. It was big but there was nothing in it . Luckily, there was a well. She said:”It is enough. “ We built a mud house with thatched roof  with the help of a woman, who remained our worker, all these years. The children liked her very much and called her ‘cheriamma’. Whenever we reminded her about marriage, she would say:”I have these children; do I need more?”
With hard work and strict budget, she developed this kitchen garden and enough coconut trees for our needs. She refused gas connection and even phone . My bicycle is the only luxury.
When we had three girls, I suggested my operation. She refused .”These children are God’s gift. I want a son.” All the children worked daily in the garden . All things like bananas, ash gourd, brinjal , bitter gourd , were sold in the vegetable shop. All credit goes to my wife.  I earn extra money by tuition.
An old friend of mine,  visited me:”Vipin, where were you all these years?” “I was in Bombay. As my wife house is in the far north Malabar, I could not find time to come this side.”
My wife and the girls appeared . Seeing the eldest, he commented ”This girl looks like you. Is it not time for her marriage?”
Wife :”We are trying. She will pass tenth this year. She likes to go to the college “ “ I have a friend. He is an excellent man, a bit more aged. His only drawback is that his one leg is shorter. He is a teacher in Government school. “ I did not like to sacrifice my daughter  and so remained stoically silent. But my wife  was not altogether against the proposal:”First we have to match the horoscope. Then, Neenu must see the man and be satisfied. “
“Yes, of course; I was just mentioning this case, because he is my friend. After marriage, he will be like a son, not merely a son-in-law”
He saw our garden and was impressed very much:” I know a TV channel reporter. I shall show him this unique achievement of  you wife”
The reporter and camera man appeared shortly . After the recording, he wanted to show the CD, but there is no TV set in my house. Wife:”TV will spoil the children and will be a distraction from studies.”
Vipin:”Come with me, I shall gift you a TV set right now.?”
When the TV came, it was jubilation in the house. I too wanted it, but wife refused steadfastly. After the item was broadcast, my wife’s reputation became high. There was a special interview with her in the end. There were many proposals for our daughters .

One day Chithran, the lame teacher, came and saw Neenu; she agreed and their marriage was fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment