Tuesday 10 March 2015

STORY-NATHAN

NATHAN
I saw an advertisement for a home nurse and contacted the number given in the paper. I had no proper education nor any skill like tailoring , to earn a living . My father is a pensioner and my brother a College student. He is good in his studies and I liked to send him for further studies. I could easily locate the house. It is a big house in a posh locality in the town and I dismissed the auto driver, after making the payment. I pressed the buzzer.
An elderly woman, looking like a maid, opened the door:”What do you want, Madam?” she asked. “I have come in response to the ad, for a home nurse.” She went inside and a gentleman came out. He is very dark in colour, but strong built , with lively eyes. The age may be around thirty.
“Sit down; it is for my mother who is paralytic . She needs constant attention, including help in taking bath. You look very beautiful and young. Can you do such dirty work?” He took me inside and showed me the room where a very old lady was resting in an arm chair:”Come Bety, sit in the chair near me. “ The address, bety (daughter) touched my hearty.  The man told me he is in a hurry . “Can you join immediately? Then I shall come with you and we can bring your dress etc. How mush salary do you expect?”  “Anything you please, “ I said . He offered five thousand and I agreed. Immediately we went in his car and brought my dress. I was greatly relieved and prepared to stay there.
Every day, the lady told me to read out to her, Hindu Puranas like Shiva purana, Vishnu purana etc. It was new to me and I enjoyed the stories. Sometimes I would ask questions and she would gladly explain. A strong bond developed between us. Her right side was not affected. She could sign cheques. Often she would give me money:”This is not part of your salary. You are helping the studies of your brother. You may fill any amount in the cheque.” When I protested, she said:” Do not say no; I am like your mother.” I touched her feet.
Sir (I like to remember him as Nathan) was medical rep. and often stayed away for days together. I did all purchases etc. I was busy.
Often the Lady’s nephew came to see her. We were of the same age. We liked each other. He is like a boy: fair, tall and curly haired. His name is Prashanth. He came in his car and often we went to see films. Maji encouraged us. 
After a few months, Nathan married. It was a big affair. All his customers had to be invited. It is necessary for the business, he maintained. His wife is like a film star, dressed in modern cloths and heavily made up. Maji did not like her. She rarely came into her room. She had only contempt for me (Home nurse), but Nathan became even closer to me. I felt jealous of his wife. Any young men came to see her and they spent hours in her bed room; I detested it. One day Nathan received anonymous letter about his wife. He showed it to me. I kept mum, but, from my expression, he inferred my mind. He gave notice of divorce; he told me they had not given dowry, as promised.  When Maji knew of it , she told me:”I knew from the beginning that she is a cheap woman. But my son did not listen to me.”
I was not confident that Nathan could love me. So I hesitated. It was Prashanth, my friend, that brought the idea  to the notice of Maji :”Why, this is the best option for my son. “
Next time, Nathan came home, she called him and told him about our marriage. Nathan looked at me and said:”Honey, could you marry me?”

“I consider you as my Nathan. The English word husband does not convey the true meaning of our Hindu concept of a husband.” I fell prostrate at his  feet and kissed them…

No comments:

Post a Comment