Sunday 8 March 2015

STORY-THAMPAN


“Are you still unsettled?” Shanku asked me. We were sipping tea, in a restaurant. He is my friend, there are no secrets between us. I just smiled. ?”How old are you?” he asked. “Past thirty five.”
Shanku thought for some time. “Would you like to have alliance with Samoothiri Kovilakam? I know one Thampuratti. She is professor in Calicut University,  Doctor in philosophy. Age thirty, still unmarried.”
A slim, fair lady appeared in my imagination. I okayed and he fixed up an interview in the University canteen. I was mistaken. She is darkish  and small, with no trace of gold, except for a thin chain and ear links; even her bangles were made of glass. She stretched her hands and said:”Glad to meet you.” I shook hands and introduced myself:”I am Ramanunni Thampan, belong to Cochin royal family. “
“What are you doing?” “Nothing. First I worked in AG’s office, then Joined Saudi airlines and when fed up, resigned and returned to God’s own country. I have written articles about politics, but all were rejected by the editors. Idling is also an art.” I smiled blandly.
The interview ended inconclusive . We parted, after exchanging mobile numbers.
I wrote several autobiographical letters to her .Renuka did not give any reply. One day she came to my room . She told many things about herself. One reason for her remaining single, is a fear that things may go wrong after marriage. She had seen it happen among her colleagues. “From your letters, I now understand you better. You have a sensitive heart. Shall we take the plunge? I have never experienced love. Now I feel the urge to be with you . Is it love?” I sensed that she needs caressing. When I came close to her and held her in my arms, she responded positively.
We were married quietly, by registration. Her brother and my Shanku were the witnesses. I surrendered my room and shifted to her house.
Time ran smoothly and as expected, we had a son.  When he was six, tragedy struck. Our car was hit by a lorry coming from the opposite side. Renuka was driving . Her head hit the steering and she received several injuries, which were not serious. But both eyes were damaged and she became blind. I tried my best to console her. She took it all bravely. We consulted several experts. They opined that eyes can be replaced, if someone gave it. I agreed to give one eye. Renuka resisted the idea but I insisted. So it was done.

Now we both wear dark glasses and people cannot know that we are one eyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment