Wednesday 31 December 2014

STORY-RESTAURANT

I used to sit in the restaurant of my father, to assist him in the cash counter.. There will be no time, even to look at the faces of the customers ,as  there will be a que even for payment of cash. I have been advising my father to move over to a new place, where we can have spacious hall. But he would say:”Son, it is this spot, near the bus stop, that attracts people.”
I had graduated and, having nothing else to do, I helped father. I did not like the job. One day I was alone. I was about to wind up, as it was eleven in the night, when a young lady came”:I am sorry; there is nothing left. If you are hungry, we may give some rice and sambar.”
“Thank you. Bu my intention was to see you. Give me whatever is left. I went to see the film; that is why I am late.”
I ordered the waiter to give her something and accompanied her and sat opposite her. She may be about thirty, not very attractive, but there was some elusive charm which glued me to her eyes.
She began eating, I waited for her to finish:”Tell me, what can I do?”
“I had seen your profile in the net and I am a regular visitor to your blog. I like your views on most matters. I like your stories. While walking to catch my bus, I saw your face and immediately recognized you.”
“Where are you going? If it is nearby, I can drop you there.” ”That will be very kind of you; I stay at Thanikudam”
After we settled in the front seat and the engine was started, I asked:”What are you doing?”
“I a m a freelance journalist and reporter of the Pioneer,  a weekly issued from Delhi.  I send the papers trough email; the res of the work is done by subeditors. Occasionally I go there”
When we reached there and I got down, she said:”There is extra room for guests. If you like, you may be my be my guest tonight.  In the morning, you can got o work” I had half a mind to stay, but hesitated. Seeing my hesitation, she pulled me into the house.
The house is clean and modern, well furnished. Our house is old. Father is not interested I show.”Is it not more cool than AC ? The tiled roof allows wind to pass through, bringing fresh air. Even fan is not necessary.” All this I explained to her, when she was sowing me her house.”You did not tell me your name.”
“I know your name and all details from the net. Once I sent a mail toyou; you did not respond. My name is Alaka”
“Good name. This is your room. I shall make the bed.” She changed the sheet and asked me:”Would you like to have coffee now?”
I too followed her into the kitchen.”Where are the other members of the household?” “My mother has gone home. Brother is in Delhi. A maid comes for odd jobs and cleaning.”
After coffee, she came with me. “Do not misunderstand me; you are a young boy, perhaps unacquainted with sex. I am an old hand at that. This is nothing in my view. Just a play of man and woman. Why did God make us?,” she pulled me to the bed and  removed my cloths and then …. Her breasts are full and I could not resist it…
In the morning she brought coffee and we talked as if nothing had happened.
“You  were saying you have no work. Perhaps I can employ you.” “How?”
“I told you I am working for a weekly. My writing is not as good as I would like. Yu have excellent command over English, as I found in your blog. I shall give you my notes; you dictate to me the passage. I shall type as soon as you dictate.  Salary will be decided, after they, In Delhi,  see your performance. Is it OK?” He jumped with joy and embraced me:”Thank you Madam.” “No madam. Now you are my friend. Call me Alka” What shall I tell my father?
I called my father:”I got a job. I have to be in the office,  even after office hours. So I shall stay in a lodge. This is why I could not come home yesterday.  Today evening I shall come, to bring my cloths and bedding. Is it alright?” He agreed.  She suggested seeing the temple at Thanikudam. So we took bath and went to the Devi temple. When we returned, the maid had prepare the break fast.
Alka talked to Delhi and conveyed the developments. It seems she has great influence. They said only five thousand initially  and authorized her to pay me the same amount  as advance.

Thus began our double bond: as employer –employee, and …

No comments:

Post a Comment