Wednesday 31 December 2014

STORY-BLACKIE

I was born, when my sister was ten years old. She was very glad to have someone to care for and I was always in her hands. As my mother died soon after my birth, I used to call her Ma. I was not aware of my colour in early childhood, but, as soon I joined School, I heard the comments of my friends who called me Blachie My sister would counter:”Was not Lord Krishna black?”

After she left for college, I did not get her protection, but I was mentally and physically very strong. At home, I used to climb trees, even the coconut tree and quarrel with other children of my age, earning the nick name squirrel. I was brilliant in studies and soon became the favourite of teachers and the envy of other girls. But boys liked me.”She is smart and charming, though black,” they would say. Time came for my transfer to the College, where within a matter of months, I became very popular and even stood or Union post and won with big majority.
I was far away in IIT, Roorky and, during holidays and Sundays, write home, to my sister to say How I missed them all and enquire about Papa and our friends. She is lazy to write, instead, she would call me on phone and talk for half an hour!
One day she told me she is engaged. “Who is the lucky guy?”
“He is black as you; a business man from Idukky. Father told me he is a millionaire. Owns acres of tea plantations. But I did not care for money, you know. It was a broker, who brought the case and father went  and saw the family. He says the are decent people. Some are advocates.”
“Send me a photo immediately and give his bio-data. When is the marriage? You know I cannot come there.”
I was very excited. I too was having a liking for a boy from Bengal, a Christian. We are also Christians and so there may not be objection from Papa. I have not committed till now.
Durgapooja holidays came and all Bengalis were preparing to go home. My friend asked:”Are you coming? My parents will be gld to see you. I have told them about you.” I agreed and was very much eager to see them.
It was my first travel to the East. Bengal was similar to Keralam. Their house was at the border between the two Bengals. I could not understand the language. Local people did not speak English, otherwise I wanted to talk to the common people.
John’s parents were too fair and looked like Europeans. John himself is not so fair. They all treated me kindly. During the stay there, John told me:”Sorry Susan, my parents are against my marrying you. They are conscious about your colour.” I did not show my anger, but steeled my mind against them all. I said I am going to Kerala and booked my ticket by plane.  At home, all were happy to see me. My sister was very much excited. I did not tell them the reason for my sudden coming.
During the stay here, we went to see my sister’s in-laws. Her husband’s younger brother was very much eager to have my company and we went to see the hills in Iduky.  He is dark and our friendship soon ripened to the extent of sexual intimacy. I forgot the episode about John

No comments:

Post a Comment