Tuesday 30 December 2014

“IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD OF LOVE…….”

It is something enigmatic, the way we are all moved by music. Even the cows would listen, when Krishna plays his flute. For the women of his village the sound is irresistible.

In all Indian movies, songs are their essence.
Long ago, when I was a child, it was rarely that we had a chance to hear a film songs. Dillagi, a Hindi film starring Suraiya and Sham was shown at Jose theatre at Trichur. We went to see it, though none of us knew a single word of Hindi. Thum mera chand me teri chandni – what a lovely song!
Only the town people had the radio. The first time a box was brought to our home at Kottical, for playing gramophone records, is still fresh in my memory. Even now as a very old man, music touches my heart. Has any one tried to play instrumental music before a dying man?
African men are good singers. They do well in sports and athletics. Is there any connection between the two?
It is my wish to have a collection of old film songs, Hindi and Malayalam. I have no patience for the classical variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment