Monday 29 December 2014

STORY-DIVORCE


I was shocked when I learned that my friend Ramesh has divorced his wife. We were very close, when we were working in the Project, far away from civilization. Most of the workers are tribals and only the officers mingled among themselves.
I was the first to retire. I had taken some land, on lease, as purchase was not allowed from  the tribal people. As most o the civil contractors  were known to me, I got a small house built, with my retirement benefits. I was alone without any family.
Ramesh and his wife retired later and settled in their ancestral home, near Kasargod. Once in a while, I went to Kerala and stayed in their house. Now I asked him:”I thought you were in love with each other. Why this divorce?”
“It is a long story. First let us have tea.” He liked to cook food. So he had no problem that way. In the Project, I used o talk with his wife Ramani. Ramesh would read or cook food. Ramani was very talkative and the favourite among officers,  She could dance and sing; she was my soul mate too.
When I persisted, he began:”You know we were poles apart, in our tastes, attitude to life and approach to the opposite sex. While in service, there was no friction, because we never were together, except in the night. But in the life here, she was always grumbling. She would say how wise you are in settling near the Project. I would tell her to supervise the men working in the fields, as they are likely to laze in the absence of the owner. In short, we became estranged, even while living together.”
“Where is she now?” “I do not know. After separation, she ceased to have any contact with me. I think she may be in her father’s house.”
“So people may be exaggerating; there is no formal divorce?”
“Her father came with the papers for mutual divorce, so I blindly signed without reading.” I stayed there for two more days and then left. “When will you return?” “I have  not decided. I like to see my uncle, who is not well.” Through some mutual friends, I got her address and went there.
Ramani was excited at seeing me. She came and held me in her arms:”Do stay here with me”, she pleaded. Her father was also happy. Finally when I decided to return, she told me she too will come.

So we returned together. There she behaved like a dutiful wife. She said:”I am a free woman. You can do, what you like to do with me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment