Tuesday 25 August 2015

STORY-WIDOW


WIDOW I was married to man working as driver in Dubai. We have two girls , still in school , when the sad news reached that he died in an accident. All the villagers came to offer condolences and we had to wait for two days , for the dead body to be brought here for cremation. I felt numb ad could not cry. I have become a widow at twenty five Through the good offices of the villagers , I was employed as maid in a play school , walkable distance away from home. The play of urchins enlivened my heart and brought money also , thogh not much. Some months passed . One day, Leela , m y child hood friend, came to see me. It was then that the sorrow eating my heart , burst out and I wept on her shoulders… “Come Medini , do not cry. Come with me to Bombay ; I will fix you up in the factory where I am employed . Get ready . Let us go as soon as my leave is over.” We bought some cloths , umbrella and a bag and went by Mangla express. It was my first journey outside Kerala and I was thrilled to see the scenery . In Bombay it was raining heavily and I found it difficult even to walk. The next day I joined as clerk in the stores section of a factory manufacturing tyres .. My salary was two thousand ; my friend and I stayed in the same room.. My boss was a Marathi , quite elderly and well behaved. I wrote a letter to mother-in-law at home. On Sundays , we went to the Mahalakshmi temple . A lot of people visited the temple daily. Leela has many friends and all expressed sympathy for me . They all told me to marry again. I said:”Who will marry a widow with two children?” “You are young and beautiful ; many will offer their hand .” “But now , my priority is to settle my children , “ I retorted. Some two years passed smoothly ; then came the bolt from the blue-my daughter is missing. When the phone came , I applied for leave. My boss booked a seat by the next available flight and I went home much vexed and ready to receive any bad news. It was my second daughter that was missing . They had informed the police. Our neighbours believed that she has run away with the auto driver. I was relieved ; love marriage is no crime . But , at least , she could have chosen a man with better status. I went to the sea shore with Surabhi , my first daughter . “Suru , do you think that I neglected you and did not give enough love?” “Oh no ; we love you Mom. It was my sister who was neglecting her studies and went to see cinema with the driver. I cautioned her , but it was of no use. Most probably , she may be pregnant. “ “After plus two , I shall take you to Bombay . there are good colleges there. “ We sat there until it was dark. The sea consoled me. Soon the lovers came with a marriage certificate and photogra of the couple. We received them gladly and then she went to her husband’s house ; she was only fourteen years old and stopped going to school . Their family was quite well off . I returned to Bombay. Leela consoled me:”Marriages are made in heaven, she is lucky to be in love. I envy her.” My boss too shared the same sentiment. He still look smart and once told me:” Madam , I like you . You know I am already married and divorced. Do not ask me why. Think of my proposal with a cool mind . If you are ready … “ I cut him short:” Nothing till my daughter is settled.” He looked disappointed. Almost at the same time , a man came and talked to me in Leela’s room:”I am your husband’s friend. I had come to your marriage and liked you at that time itself. Leela told me all about you . I am ready to marry you.” “Thank you ; wait till my daughter is settled; at least, till she gets a job” When I brought her to Bombay , I took a separate room and saw Leela rarely. After studies , she too was employed in our factory as a clerk and all went well until… I had taken half a day’s leave due to a headache . When came to the factory , I heard voices of laughter from the Boss’s room. I went near and slightly opened the door. My daughter was sitting in his lap , with her legs on either side of the chair and they were kissing… I quietly withdrew and ran to see Leela . When I emptied my heart , I felt relived. Leela :”I shall write to the man who proposed to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment