Sunday 30 August 2015

STORY-ROBBERY


ROBBERY My father sent me to the bank , to fetch gold ornaments from the locker and fifty thousand in cash , for my sister’s marriage. It was Monday and there was a long line in que. At last my turn came and I kept all things in my bag and got out. Some miscreant was watching me in the bank itself and he snatched the bag from my hand . I ran desperately to catch him . I got an iron rod , left behind by construction workers , and hit his head hard. Blood was rushing out and he fell down . Before people could understand what was happening , I ran with the bag and knocked at the door of my friend Nalini. I hurriedly described what happened and gave her the bag:”Dear, call my father and give him this bag. Tell him I have taken ten thousand from the bag.” I kissed her good bye and got out of the house. Where shall I go? Bombay? I do not know Hindi. In fact , I have never been out of Keralam and was somewhat afraid of strange places. I grew up as mummy’s boy ; somehow completed my studies in the school . So I called my uncle and explained the circumstances . “Do not worry , boy. Come to me and we shall think of some way.” He lives in a village near Aluva and I decided to go there. When things get cleared , I can come back. Uncle and aunt were very glad. “You have become big and handsome. How are things there? What about your sister’s marriage?” I explained the developments and how I am involved in a murder case. My cousin sister was very much shocked. I said no one had seen me . A local newspaper has given a report without mentioning my name . It seems the fellow is not dead. He is in the ICU , unable to talk. He has seen my face and can easily identify me. “I have an idea. At Mukkam there is no grocery shop. You work in Peter’s shop here and learn the trade. Then we can set up a shop at Mukkam.” The next day I joined the shop. The work is easy . Goods come in a van and we unload it . There will be rush in the evening , at other times it is easy. Peter himself sits at the cash counter. Before the shop is closed at 8.30 PM , I help in tallying the account . In his absence , I am the cashier. I found that most people have a pass book and we have to write the amount in it each time. Even rich people prefer monthly payments . Ladies enjoy talking to me and my own self esteem increased. After one year , I set up my own shop. I used to talk on phone with Nalini “You can come back safely. The police has closed the case . The fellow is all right now , they say. “ “ I have set up my own grocery shop and am making good profit, as it is the only shop here.” “Your father asked me recently whether I am willing to marry you. I think he has spoken to Daddy. Are you not eager to see me? Or are you in love with a girl there?” “Will you be jealous?” “Oh no! It is a man’s privilege. He can pick and choose. We are helpless. “ “Mukkam is a tribal area Women come without blouse . Something like a bath towel covers the breasts You have not shown yours.” “You naughty brute . Can’t you enjoy our face?“ “I am hungry . You must give me soothing to eat.” Thus the days passed . I made good money and was confident of making a living without help . One fine morning , her father came to see my business. He discussed with my uncle. , who talked to my father .When I married , I was thirty five. “Whom should we thank?” I asked. “God”” “Or the person who tried to rob me?” “God appeared in the guise of a robber !”

No comments:

Post a Comment