Tuesday 6 October 2015

POOJARY


STORY-NAMBOORI POOJARY POOJARY I was going along the road, when I noticed a group of people assembled in front of the temple. Out of curiosity, I stopped there, when someone said:”He is a poojry. Can we recommend his case? All said in one voice: “Yes” “But I have some conditions. I work in the Bank, so I shall leave by nine in the morning. In the evening I shall open the temple at five thirty.” They consulted among themselves and agreed. “This is a Shiva temple; do you know Sreerudram?” “Of course, can I get accommodation?” That too they agreed and told me to join the next day. I was working in the Bank and this will bring some more income for my sister’s marriage. Then only my turn will come, I am twenty five . I took a few utensils and my bedding and dress. Navarathry was coming and I was busy. But income too increased and I did not mind the effort. Warriar told me certain things which I must keep in mind and other things to be avoided, which made my predecessor unpopular. I soon became a favourite. I used to rub sandal wood on the stone, to make Prasad. This pleased them. I took care to give flowers and Prasad to all. Irrespective of whether they did vazhipad or note. Warriar told me, income increased tenfold, after I took charge. I really believed in Him and did my work with full faith. Needless to say, some marriage offers also came . I told them to approach my father. The manager of the temple committee is a rich merchant in wood work an timber. He told warriar to sound me about his daughter. He told in my ear “This is the girl”, pointing to a girl, who came to the temple in the evening. She had to collect the payasam and was waiting for it. She is quite plain, medium height, neither white nor black. One Sunday morning, I was sitting below the tree, after my pooja , when this girl came and wished me. “Oh, Madhury, how are you? Are you educated? Are you working ?” She smiled:”I am MA in Malayalam. I am music teacher in Government school. I got prize in youth festival.” I stood up and gave my hand; she took it and pressed it hard, smiling all the while. I felt elated. This is the first time I had contact with a girl. We exchanged our mobile numbers. When her father saw me later, he enquired about my response. “I have a sister. Her marriage is still pending, for want of money.” “Why didn’t you tell me earlier. How much money, tell me.” He gave me a blank cheque:”Write the figure you like; I have signed it. Do not think you have any obligation.” I hesitated, so he thrust it into my pocket. I went home and told my father, after filling the cheque. Unexpectedly, sister fell ill and had to be Hospitalized, for suspected typhoid. Madhury used to go daily and console her. During this period I got promotion as accountant and remained in the same branch. But there is a possibility of transfer any time. “What should I do, in that case?” I asked her. “Do not bother. If you are transferred, you throw it away. My father can appoint you as accountant” “Thank you.” “I am not satisfied with thanks. You never told me the words which all girls expect .” “I do love you”

No comments:

Post a Comment