Friday 2 October 2015

HOME COMING


SHORT STORY HOME COMING It was really a shock. My brother missing! I was in Dubai, where I was working for a multinational company, who refused to extend my visa. I was actually contemplating returning to my home in Keralam; so I hurried home by the first available flight. We have a fairly big farm in the forest near Kottayam, which was bought by my brother long ago, when I was a mere child. He is some fifteen years elder to me, and was more like a father to me. I was somewhat uneasy in his presence. We have a maid of my age. This Bhagy was my play mate and whenever I needed anything, I would tell her. She is quite mature for her years and my brother listened to her positively; I think he admired her. Our estate was one third rubber, another half rice fields and the remaining portion a cow farm. I won’t call it a dairy farm, because it was just a cow shed. My brother who loved cows, planted coconut trees in this area, where cows could graze freely and fertilise the soil. I knew nothing about the estate or its management, as I was interested only in my studies. Our mother died when I was four years old. Bhagy later told me she was suffering from cancer. As soon as I entered the estate, Jose, our senior manager, told me about it. They saw him last on the evening of Chrismus, when my brother had enjoyed a few pegs with them. He was quite sober and well when he left, carrying his torch as was his habit. The torch was found near well by the church, but there was no trace of my brother, even though the workers, numbering around fifty, searched far and wide. Bhagy started crying when she saw me. I felt embarassed as she was a vivaciou child, ready to laugh without anny cause. Now she is no more a child, looked handsome even, with her big eyes, now full of tears. I enjoyed her laugh, not this serious face. Of course, the matter is grave. She brought idli and coconut chatney, which I liked very much. I was hungry like a wolf and ate whatever she had brought. Some more?, she enquired and her old brightness reappeared. I was pleased. Jose came and tarted explaining about the affairs of the estate. I cut him short: I like to see the accounts. Jose threw up his hands. I just manage the estate, don’t know anything about accounts. My brother never went to a school. Bhagy, who had studied up to ninth standard, showed me a fat note book, recording money transactions, a cash book. When I asked about our debtors and creditors, she blinked. What are they? I dismissed both and went to my room. My brother did not like spending money on house or furniture. We had a very old mud house and nothing to sit on. Jose had managed to make an improvised bed for me, with some planks fixed on supports of bricks. For a chair, there was a small stool (that is what we call here). I noted down the items requiring immediate attention, now that the responsibility rests on my shoulders. I had brought enough money, as I was not asked to send any money home. My service for the last ten years was enough for building a terrace house and starting a real dairy farm, based on modern concept. I intended to have a fish farm as well. At night, when I was about to sleep I heard a rustling noise. Bhagy now? I called aloud, as it was quite dark. The sound was heard again. I could smell something like the sweaty body of my brother, but did not feel any fear. Bhagy slept in a far corner of the house. My brother did not marry. I dozed off. When I woke up, I saw a dark shadow, darker than the night, a denser, solidified darkness; who is it? No reply. As the shadow moved, I followed, as if hypnotised. We reached a well near the church, when I could hear the distinct sound of the shadow jumping into the well, and I lost cosciousness. I was sitting, at the same spot, surrounded by people who had come, searching for me. I COULD NOT ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS. When I was alone, I told Bhagy. She listened attentively, without any comment. Suddenly, she started crying and fell on my shoulder. I patted her back and tried to console her. After some time she regained her composure, wiped her eyes and returned to her work. I noticed this change in her and wanted to help her. The next night, the shadow reappeared, stood very near to me and told me to search the well. Bhagy is carrying my child, you should adopt her as your wife: this meesage was transmitted to me, as if by a super power. When it became day, I told Bhagy everything about the well, but nothing about her pregnancy. She agreed that there is nothing wrong in searching the well. So Jose and myself, accompanied by a handful of work men, went and examined the well by inserting a rope weighed by a stone, as they were afraid to go into the well. After some time, the rope struck some stone or other hard substance. A brave fellow, after enough pegs of a strong stuff, entered the well and brought a body which began to decompose. The police was informed and they filed an FIR. IT WAS MY BROTHER. I told the police inspector, that I want a proper investigation of the case, come what may. At home, both Jose and Bhagy continued to manage the estate as before, but I started keeping the acconts of the estate, separate from the house hold expenses.In my laptop I maintained a profit and loss account, though I did not know much about these things. Bhagy rarely came to me. She was too busy, like an experienced matron. I was used to seeing her only as a carefree, boyish child, ready to pull my tails and make fun of me. In a way, I think, I didn’t like the change in her. One or two months passed. The workmen started digging the foundation of my house, for which I had engaged a qualified Civil Engineer, as I will not be able to pay atention to it, as I was busy with my estate. Bhagy came to me and told that she wants to go home. Go where? I shouted. She started crying. I was sorry. I went to her and pulled her towards me. Bhagy, do you think I will be able to manage without you? How this home came, after all these years? Where is it? She kept mum, looking the other way, avoiding my gaze. I am not well, she told, at last. Ok. Today itself we go to see the Doctor. A lady doctor, she corrected. After examintion, the doctor came out smiling; I didn’t know you are married. Congratulations! I suddenly remembered what I heard from the “ghost”, my brother. I said, thank you doctor. On our way home, Bhagy started crying. I did not stop her. I allowed her to cry and lighten her heart. She began: It was that Chrismas party. When he came, he was fully drunk. Pulled my cloths off and pinned my legs with his powerful knees…….. I stopped her, covering her mouth, with my hand. You are innocent. This child in your womb is innocent. Our love is unshakable. We will get married in a week. Only our staff will be invited. She looked at me in disbelief. How can I say what the ghost had told me ?

No comments:

Post a Comment