Friday 2 October 2015

MY PA


STORY-MY PA When I enter the office, my Personal Assistant would come with my dak, instead of sending the peon. We would chit chat for a while; she would narrate all stories doing the round in the Project, including juicy ones about our CEO, who is popular among wives of Officers. She would explain the contents of the papers. For routine papers, she will type the reply and get them signed by me. After coffee, she will leave and send the files. By then it would be eleven. She gives the appointments for meeting me, only after that time. I do appreciate her work and she gets very good confidential reports every year. Sometimes I wish she were my wife ! At home, my wife is just the opposite. I have not seen her smile, for months. If she is pleasant, it means she has to get some favour from me, normally going for some film, in the town far away. She will take some boy friend in our car, which I resent at heart, but cannot refuse. After return home, she will be warm in the bed… The last THREE DAYS WE HAV NOT TALKED. The next day, my PA enquired:”How is Madam?” “No improvement.”She placed her hand on my arm, as a mark of sympathy. The soft touch smoothed my bitterness, “I wish I could marry you, Shamy. We are made for each other.” Her name is Sharmila. “Sir, was it a love marriage? “ No,no” “Tell me about it” “My uncle knew about the family; one day he brought my parents, to meet them. They are a big family, all living together. Agriculture is their main occupation. Remy is the eldest, there are several girls of marriageable age. My parents liked the alliance. Their main concern was that they did not have Bank balance. Uncle knew that I need no dowry; so they negotiated and fixed even the date. They sent me a photo. Shamy, have you seen her? She looks like a film star. Sheer beauty is her greatest asset. I agreed. When I saw her in flesh and blood, I fell headlong in love; Whatever she may do, I am her permanent slave. A phone call came:”Sir, it is Madam.” “Tell me honey, what is the matter?” Her tone was excited:”My brother has come. You also come immediately.” ”I shall be there in half an hour.” Shamy, cancel my appointments.” I was very glad to see my brother-in-law. He is very close to me. They had gone on a pilgrimage to Vaishnodevi. Now they like to see our Project. I phoned my PA and told her to make necessary arrangements for their visit to the Site. That night Remy behaved in the bed , as if it was our first night. In the end, the cat was out:”Dear, I want to go home with my brother.” I became pensive. There was no need for a reply; I knew her nature. In the office, when they were seeing the project, I told my PA:”Shamy, she is going home. I do not know when she will come back.” “What is the cause of your break? I know you still love her.” “She wanted children immediately after marriage. I delayed it for some years; later, to my surprise, I found her to have no power of procreation. We consulted doctors. They had no clue. What shall I do in her absence? You know I cannot stay alone. I will not get leave now. Annual target for production, is still far away.” ”I shall come and look after your household. You know I am alone. You told me I am half your wife. This time I shall remain a full wife.” I became relaxed. I told my wife; she too had no objection. The absence of Remy got indefinite. Shamy became pregnant. She was not worried . She called her mother from the village. Delivery was smooth. It was a boy. No one in the Project knew about it . I told my senior clerk, to look after shamy’s work. I wrote about it to Remy. When she knew about it , she was happy. She came back . She kissed the baby again and again:”I wanted a baby. This one is so sweet. Thank you Sharmila. My PA resumed duty. She donated the baby to my wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment