Thursday 1 October 2015

FRIENDSHIP


TRANSIENT FRIENDSHIP I bought something from Poochunnipadam, near Oorakam and saw an autorickshaw stopping in front of the shop. The driver enquired the way to Eravakad rail crossing. On an impulse, I offered to show the way, as I was going that way. We had to circumvent a lense shaped hill called Elamkunnu. Even as late as 1920 it was a forest, with practically no one living in it. Kirangatu Kesavan (elephant) used to roam in the forest, after being released there, at the end of the pooram festival season. Even in 1943 there were few settlers living in this hill area. At noon we children used to climb up the hill, only in groups. From the top we could see the distant Arabian Sea. Today, we were passing through tarred road, with terrace houses on either side shedding enough light on the road. Santa Maria Academy (plus 2 school) occupies the eastern and central part of the hill. The western and northern parts have been considerably cut away by quarrying contractors. All this, I narrated during the ten minutes or so we were together. As soon as we crossed the hill the auto driver regained his orientation and I got down. The lady in the vehicle, who was traveling with her son, was so engrossed in my story that she was actually sorry that we had to part company. We may never meet again. She thanked me for my guidance and I too felt a certain feeling of friendship with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment