Wednesday 6 May 2015

STORY-NO MARRIAGE


NO MARRIAGE I had gone to the temple which is only a few minutes’ walk from home. So I did not lock the house and isturb my elderly parents. When I returned, I saw a bearded man with long hair , sitting comfortably in a chair in the portico. I became anxious, who is this stranger ? When I came very near, I shouted with joy:”Velu! “ I could not control my emotion. I hid my face in his lap and wept shamelessly. He lifted my face. He kissed way my tears. I asked:”Why this dress ? Where were you all these years?” “Renu, I remember a girl in jeans; how you changed into traditional Malayalee mundu and blouse?” “Tell me , are you married?” “No. I travelled throughout India. I found this costume useful. People respect it. As I recite Samskrutham stanzas. People pour money into the towel, spread in front of me. They invite me for dinner. I am a Brahmachar.” “A woman can love only once. I knew you will come one day. For some years I worked in Berlin. When I heard that father is ill, I came back to our village.” Mother was watching our conversation. She asked:”What about your brothers?” “They are all married and have children. One is a school teacher ,another a vakil and the third a politician. I wanted to see the world.” Mother went in to prepare breakfast. Velu continued:”I became the disciple of Sreenarayana Guru. He advised me to tour North India and learn about Budha. Budha is my Guru.” “Promise me not to run away again.” Mother called us inside. Hot puttu and fried papad was served.”mother, it is a long time since I tasted puttu. Many thanks.” “Velu, this is your home . Stay here all your life. It will be a blessing for Renu.” I said:”Remove this sanyasi dress; cut your hair short . I will take you to a barber.” He obeyed. We went to see our mutual friends in the college. All had only one question-when are you getting married? We discussed it many times. I insisted:”Sex is no sin. Till now we postponed marriage for the same reason. We did not like to be married to another guy.” “I want some work or at least a hobby. I am interested in painting. I have learned the preliminaries.” So he joined a club and began drawing . It was my photo , when I was only twelve years old. It became a hit and several ladies approached me , offering good remuneration. Thus our life began as married couple , without formal ceremony. He insisted:”Marriage agreement is for security of the woman, so they will get alimony in case of divorce. Free union is better than forced sex.”

No comments:

Post a Comment