Monday 4 May 2015

STORY-ANAMIKA


ANAMIKA I was seeing my childhood friend after a gap of several years. Oh, Anu! Where were you all these years? You have become fat and more handsome. I think the desert air suits you.” Before I could respond , a thin short girl came and seeing me , was about to withdraw, when Das said:”Do not go ; this is my cousin, who has come to India after a long time.” “I shall come later. I want ink bottle.” She took away the bottle from my cupboard and went away .Who is this girl?” “Why? Do you like her?” “I think she is a sweet thing. Do not mind marrying her.” “It will be an act of kindness on your part. She has passed M.Sc. and wants to go for Doctorate . But her poor parents want her to work, as they are already in debt. They have taken loan from me and also from the bank.” Devi returned after an hour . “May I make tea?” ”Thanks ; my wife has gone to the market and may meet her friends as it is Sunday” The girl brought dosa and tea . I asked her to sit with us. “Let me ask you whether you are ready to marry this gentleman , who is of my age. Do not worry about formalities . You are sufficiently mature to take your own decision. You may ask him questions.” What were you doing all these years? Are you employed?” “I am now without a job. I first worked in Thaluk office , then went to the gulf to join Saudi Airlines. I earned enough and decided to return, as there is no life there.“ She looked into my eyes for several minutes and I felt uncomfortable. “Take your own time,” Anu said. “I shall be his wife, on two conditions: he should repay all my loans and send monthly income for sustenance of my parents.“ I agreed and our marriage took place shortly. I need not mention that marriage expenses were met my me.. Thevi’s father said:”You are an angel.” For honey moon we went to Singapore. Those were fabulous days and She joined Calicut University after our return. “Let us not have children, till my studies are completed.” So she inserted something inside, to prevent pregnancy. We were staying in the hostel. I used to cook food and roam about when free. As her Professor was a frequent visitor , I began to get jealous. As there is no fear of children there is nothing to restrict their freedom. I avoided meeting people. Anyway , after she got the degree , I took her to the Doctor and got the obstruction removed. Soon she became a mother , giving me a sweet girl. I said:”Let her choose her name ,when she is mature; we will call her Anamika (no name)”. Her parents came to look after their grandchild. I became an outsider and began staying with my elder brother. Sister-in-law became more friendly. She did not like Devi. She used to say that Devi is haughty. When Anamika became two years old , I brought her to my brother’s house ,which was common property of us four brothers. One was working in the Registrar’s Office another was a bee-keeper , who was a dedicated worker who made plenty of money by his hobby. Both are unmarried. Eldest brother has two girls going to school. They welcomed Anamika. The three became fast friends . Brother’s children learned vocal music and Anamika learned ‘thabala’. I was mostly on tour and grew a beard. I used to write letters to my daughter describing my experiences and also I began writing poetry , some hidden talent in me. My daughter sent it to a weekly which published it. Thus , though there was no formal divorce, we were practically separated. I arranged Anamika’s marriage. She loved a boy who was a singer and deliberately ignored my wife. I received a notice from her layer for divorce and I agreed. One day my friend came with Devi. After preliminaries, he said:”Anuj , it is not fair on your part , to accept separation. There are bound to be differences in any marriage. These have to be sorted out . Ours was love marriage; still, we used to quarrel. For Devi, Anamika is the only source of joy. Why did you not inform about her marriage? That was the last straw that broke her heart. Do you think she does not live you? She is ready to withdraw the notice. I know her from her childhood. She is a workaholic. By the way, where is Anamika? She was attending our discussion from behind the doors. She came out and embraced her mother. I too felt the pangs of love:”I am ready for reconciliation. Let us have a new beginning.” Devi came and touched my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment