Saturday 9 May 2015

STORY-DANCE


DANCE We had gone to Guruvayoor temple . My parents stood in the que , patiently waiting for darshan. I had no patience. I sat in the auditorium, where a beautiful girl was performing. I could not take my eyes off her supple , slim body slithering like a snake’s. I told my friend to buy a heavy gold necklace and bring to me immediately. He could not understand why, but I told him to hurry. As soon as the dance program was over, I went to the platform and called the girl. I put the ornament in her neck and told her:”Excellent! Please accept my gift. I gave her my card and whispered in her ear :”Please reply” She felt dazed , but I felt she was happy. I told my friend:”Find out the address of the girl.” On our return, I told my mother:”I have found a daughter-in-law for you.” I had no patience. My friend was unable to contact the party, as they left immediately afterwards. After about one week, her father called me on phone:”Are you Dasan?” “Yes. “ “You had given your card to my daughter; what is your intention?” “Thank you Sir. I liked the dance and the girl. I am a graduate and we have a big plantation in Munnar. If you will kindly consider my case, I shall be very lucky. Could you kindly give me your address?” I noted down the address. “Can I talk to your father?” “Oh, no. He is a big businessman. I am his only son . But I have told mother and we can come there when you like. I just like to know the girl’s mind. For marriage we can wait. Can I speak to her?” “Come here next week; then you can ask her directly.” He hung up. I sent Ganeshan, my personal man. He met the girl secretly and secured her photo . He talked to her . She was glad to meet my emissary. They talked for a long time on the road and gathered her bio-data. Her name is Saraswathy, passed tenth and is only eighteen yeas old. The family is just above poverty line. Her father is working in khadi mill. The house is pretty old . All this was told to my mother also . She was satisfied and one day we went there. After deciding things , father was told about it. He insisted that we must wait for one year. For me it seemed like eternity . I told father that she may be appointed in our estate , so that she can help her father . This was agreed. I got an anonymous letter. I showed it to Saraswathy (Saru for short). It was written by her relative , who wanted to marry her .”Do not believe it, Das. He has no education . I do not like him.” I gave her a kiss of assurance . Her smile is more than a gift for me. I suggested that she can give dance call on Sundays, so that she may earn some extra income. Her classes became popular. She danced occasionally, to entertain our business guests. All congratulated me for netting this genius. I need not narrate our marriage. Many businessmen liked to have alliance with us and some showed their contempt for Saru’s family. I consoled her. Happy years fly away. We had three children, two girls and then a boy. He was all right but failed to respond when we made sounds. Doctors confirmed his inability to hear. Without hearing, he cannot pronounce words. It broke our hearts. I consoled Saru:”Medicine is progressing; do not despair. We can have one more issue.” As the boy became four, I bought electronic toys to entertain him and other children. I found the boy very alert and equal to others in intelligence. I advertised in newspapers for a home tutor, to teach a deaf-mute child, preferring an English knowing person, because I wanted to teach him computer work. A lady from Scotland offered her services. She was a war widow and took charge of the boy, In another ten years, e passed tenth examination with first class marks. I employed him in our business and taught him data entry etc. I gave him regular salary, which he deposited in his bank account. Saru was happy, but now worried about his marriage. “Oh dear, he will find his mate ,as I found you.” In due course, I became one of the Directors of the Company. My son Rahul was promoted as a Manager. He decided to make a special recruitment of Deaf-mute youth in computer section and such other categories like watchmen, where eyes are more important than ears. After interviewing a number of candidates, ten girls and two boys were selected. He asked us to select one girl for him. Saru said I am better in selecting the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment