Monday 27 April 2015

STORY-TOO YOUNG

TOO YOUNG
When I completed my Bs.C., my mother began fretting for a wife for me.
“Ma, I am too young to get married. Let me enjoy free life for a few years.”
“But I am too old. I need help in the kitchen. My friend’s daughter is also young and suitable for you. The other day we had met in a marriage party. She suggested this alliance. Just go and see her. A courtesy call, that is all.”
I got the details of their house and went by bus. It took some one hour by bus. Then I walked for half an hour through village roads and came to their house. A very young girl, almost a child, opened the door.
Seeing me, she went in and her mother came out. She immediately recognized me:”Nandan, do you remember me? You were too small when I saw you. You were studying in Bombay all these years , isn’t it? Come inside.”
It was an old house, with an open courtyard in the centre. There is a net to cover the open space, lest crows may come . Such houses of wood work and tiles are seldom theses days of terrace roofs. As if she read my thoughts, she explained:”After the death of Sharada’s father, I could not take up the work of reconstruction of the house.”
By this time, the girl brought hot tea and fried potatoes. Her mother went inside.
“How much have you studied?” I could not think of anything else. She is very small, hardly five feet tall. Very slim but fair and with big eyes. Her breasts seem to be too small inside her loose jacket. She was wearing petty coat only. I liked her. “I could not pass tenth exam; failed in maths. What are you doing?”
“I am a post office clerk. I have been selected as Assistant in Lakshadweep Islands. Orders may come any time.”
“I love to live in the islands”
“Do you love me?”
“Yes . It is all decided by our parents that we must marry. My mother will also come and stay with us. It will be helpful for your mother because your father is bedridden. Everything is planned. This meeting is just a formality, because you have not seen me.”
While leaving, her mother gave me a whole sac-full of ripe mangoes.
“The worker will carry it up to the bus point?” The girl smiled sweetly, as I departed.
My mother was very happy to learn that I liked the girl. She was glad to get the gift of mangoes which we used to buy in the market only. I told her that the girl is too young for marriage, as she is below eighteen. Mother did not mind it:”I was married at fifteen. The law is not binding on us. I need an assistant.”
So the marriage took place. We invited only a limited number of relatives . There was no dowry:”You saw their estate. The whole of it is now ours, as there is no other claimant ,”said mother.
When the order from the Lakshadweep Authority was received, Sarada was pregnant . I consoled her:”You know all are Muslims there . Accommodation will have to be fixed up. When things are settled, you can come with the baby. It is only a matter of months.”
I went to the dweep from Calicut. I carried all masalas and pickles with me. It was my first voyage in a ship and I enjoyed the experience. I missed my dear wife. She was experienced in running the house and very thrifty. I considered myself lucky, till I received the news about the baby.
It had a very rare disease-the head began to grow bigger and bigger and finally died. What was worse, was the opinion of the Doctors that Sarada cannot have a normal baby. I had been to my home and we returned after my leave:”Dear, I have you. That is enough . I do not mind, if your baby is delivered by some other woman. I must have your own child; I do not like to adopt one”, she said.
Soon she forgot her sorrow and became as happy as she was, when we first met.
In the office y boss was a lady IAS Officer,  a North Indian. She was unmarried and liked me very much. She was disappointed, when I told her I am married. After hearing my story, she readily agreed to bear my baby. I told my wife and she was so glad that she kissed me again and again.

After becoming pregnant, she took leave and went home. She came back after delivery and gave the baby boy to my wife. We informed home about the arrival of the son. Mother-in-law rushed to us immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment