Saturday 18 April 2015

STORY-DELHIWALLA

DELHIWALLA
My father  graduated just before  Independence and came to Delhi in search of a job. In free India it was easy to get a Government job, as he Secretariat was expanding fast. He became UD clerk in the Ministry of Defence and went up the ladder fast. I was the only child and was pampered by my father. The result was that I did not get good marks and became a graduate with no prospects for a better job.
So I worked hard to prepare for Assistance Grade examination for recruitment of Secretariat assistants. There was no interview for this post , passing written examinations with good marks was enough. I was not dull and managed to get  the job. Father was happy. We had bought our own flat in Lodhi Gardens. Father gave me a bike and soon I got married to a rich , beautiful woman.
In due course, a daughter was born and wife said no more children. I wanted a boy too, but my wife refused. She was given in marriage to a business man who stayed with us . Daughter was working as a beautician. In short, we had become Delhiwallas and never thought of having ing a house in our native place in Keralam.
But Sunanda’s (My wife) father died and now she wanted a house nearby, to be close to her mother. As she is a dictator, I began our search for a plot. Our house in Delhi can be given to my daughter.
My friend invited me to come there during pooram festival season. There in the village, I saw an old house very big and three storeyed , but in a dilapidated condition, with a large compound full of fruit trees and bamboos. I do not know why I fancied that house. Of course , there is a temple and a river nearby. But will Sunanda agree?
When I mentioned it, my host Das laughed at it :”Are you crazy? It is a forest . We can even hear the cries of jackals . I do not know how the old man and his granddaughter live there.”
This whetted my curiosity and we went in to explore the house. The trees mostly mango trees and jack fruit trees did not allow sun light to enter the area. Tall grass covered the ground. I was thrilled . We somehow reached the house standing proudly, proclaiming the glory of the past. Das knocked at the door and a young girl opened it. “May I know who you are? What brings you here?”
“this gentleman from Delhi wants to know whether this house can be bought.” She was wearing only blouse and petty coat. She was dark but had  an aristocratic look. Her full breasts invited my attention. She took us to a room where her guardian lived. He must be around eighty, still very healthy He knew Das. “Hallo young man , I am seeing you after a long time. Now I am unable to walk around. He seemed happy to have somebody to talk:”Gauri, bring tea and biscuits for our guests.”
Without reason, he began talking about the past glory of the family:”There was a time when this house was full of sounds of children and women. We were seven daughters and three men. Now only our children and their children are living in various parts of India and abroad.” The girl brought tea . She had covered her breasts with a towel.
Das:”This gentleman lives in Delhi; he likes to buy this house.”
“I shall be happy. How much will you give, gentleman?”
“His name is Pran. I will consult Kumar the adharam writer about the prevailing rates.” “Fine’; You must leave some area for us to live. I want to die here” So we returned to Das’s house. I talked for a long time to my wife and she finally agreed. “What about our house in Delhi?”
“It is for our daughter. I am not happy about the business of our son-in-law” I took detailed video photos of the old house and returned to Delhi. Das promised to be my agent, not only for the deal, but also to supervise the reconstruction. When the construction began, I applied for VRS. I HAD ENOUGH MONEY. I WAS EAGER TO LIVE  IN THAT FOREST.
The area given to the old man was near the gate. Sunanda lived with her mother. Gauri gladly made food for me also. A unique attachment developed between us. She refused to accept any salary. I bought a car and she used to accompany me to the town.
One night she  called me and I saw the old man . I immediately called Doctor  on phone, but before he came, the old man breathed his last.

After the last rites, Gauri’s father wanted to take her with him. I requested him to leave her with me as a help and the girl was only too happy to remain with me. Only my daughter objected, but she could not say why. Whenever a marriage PROPOSAL CAME, SHE MADE SOME OBJECTION OR OTHER. I too was not eager for it. So we lived happy with each other

No comments:

Post a Comment