Thursday 27 November 2014

STORY - SON OF THE SOIL PART

My wife wanted one more child. I told her that we must restrict the number of children; one is enough. But she insisted that two will have companionship. “I always felt lonely”
Afterwards one girl child was born, but her uncle in the US insisted that she should not become a village girl, without education. So she was sent to his care, as he was childless. At that time, a unit of the Indian National Congers was formed under the leadership of Ikkanda Warriar, in our village in our village. He had earlier contacted me and told me to attend the inauguration, because the Party needed money, which I could easily provide.
My wife also attended the meeting at the village centre, which was well attended, because it was advertised through posters and vocal megaphone. My speech was applauded, being witty and rendered in a language understood by the the villagers. They again and again clapped their hands in appreciation. I became a hero and Ikkandu nominated me as the President of the unit.
That was the beginning and I rose in the heirarchy of the then Cochin State.
A meeting of the Congress was being held at Thekkinkadu maidan, Trichur., presided over by Ikkandu and I too was in the dais.The whole maidan was overflowing with the people and suddenly the Police appears and announced that the meeting was banned by the order of Collector. People refused to disperse; Police began lathi charge and all those in the dais, including Ikkandu were arrested and put in Viyur Jail. I requested for note book and pen and began writing my autobiography, which was published serially in Mathrubhooki, a weekly of the Congress party. As I could not write even in Malayalam, I used to dictate and some one would write. At home my y wife used to take my dictation; this continued until I became a minister in the cabinet of Panampilly Govinda Menon.
My wife too joined the Congress and she became the Panchayath President. I found that money can buy anything and, in sheer disgust, left politics and continued philanthropic activities , like a home for abandoned children etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment