Wednesday 26 November 2014

SHORT STORY - GOVERNMENT JOB

All were surprised, when postman delivered a letter in my address containing a letter of employment in Tehasildar’s office at Trichur. Mother, ailing father, two sisters of marriageable age small brothers, still in school- all depended upon me, as we were living a meagre pension of my father, who retired as postman. Mother earned some money by tailoring.
We lived at Kannnur and it was the first time I crossed Bharathapuzha.
At Trichur, I told auto driver about the office and he charged only Rs.15.
In the office there were a number of people, mostly coming with various applications for ration card, etc.
The supervisor gave me the charge of receipt clerk. The present incumbent, a lady, asked me if I knew any one at Trichur.
“No. I have come for the first time here.”
“Today you come to my home; I will tell father to find you some room in the town.”
I thanked her and after some time, we went for tea. I observed the Town Hall.
“My name is Latika. We stay in a village some fifteen kilometers away. I have only father with me”
There was not much work. I entered the letters received in a register and handed over to different clerks.
At lunch time, I took snacks and tea in a tea shop in the foot path. Exactly at five, we left office and got into a bus.
“I will sit with you in the common seat, Otherwise, you may miss me”, she said.”Tell me about your family”
“My father was postman. He is now ailing and his megre pension is spent on medicines. Mother works as taylor in a shop and earns enough for my education. I am MA in English.
I have been applying for a job since my SSLC exam and this is the first appointment I got
I have two sisters of marriageable age and two brothers, still in school.”
By this time, she got up and I too did the same. Soon the bus stopped and we got down. After a few minutes, she showed me her house and we entered it. It was a villa of comfortable size. There are two bed rooms and a small garden in the front.
Her father ignored my presence. She winked at me, indicating not to mind it. She made tea and brought some loaves of bread heated heated in the electric stove. While having tea, she posed the question:”Why don’t you stay here. My father and I are alone here; I have no company. You saw how morose he is.”
I nodded and we had very happy days.
“Why did you not marry? You must be my age.”
She smiled and remained silent. I did not like to offend her.
In the morning I will go for a walk. The country side was unexciting, though. On Sundays and holidays, we would go sight seeing, to Ernakulam, Alapuzha,Kollam, TRivandrum etc.
“I have not seen Malabar; why do you not take me to your home?” I thought it a good idea. She became excited as we left Bharathapuzha. I told her that Malabar means land of mountains in Arabic. The Arabs came to trade here and they gave this name.” “I did not know that you know much.”
“My hobby is reading. Without cost, we can read travelogues and see the world.”
Suddenly she asked:”Have you ever loved? You are so romantic!”
“Now I love.” “Who is the lucky one; in the office?”
“She is now sitting before me.”
“I am too old; why not someone younger?”
“I thought love is blind”. “But I am not. with my eyes fully opened, I say I love you.”
“Thanks.” We were walking along the road and our conversation had become very private.”Only thanks? Not even a kiss? In the office, young men want to make love, not simply say it.”
“Have you had such experience?”
“Many times; but I am interested only in real love.”
We had reached my home. All rushed towards the gate.
“Latika, my colleague.” I introduced her.
We were inside the house. She took out saris from her bag and gave to each one. To my brother she gave a T-shirt. All were happy. “My sister can earn money by typing in Malayalam, in front of my office. Is there a place to learn Malayalam DTP?”
“I am learning; but there is no practice” said my sister.
On our return, we discussed it.”We have some vacant land near the office. Father is reluctant to sell it. We can build a small house there and your sister may use it. We will continue as it is. I actually love the place.”
That night we had our first experience in making love. A naked woman is always a thrill!

No comments:

Post a Comment