Thursday 27 November 2014

ARTICLE - DEMOCRATIC DYSFUNCTION

Do we really need a government?
 The only function of the government is to harass us. Whenever a government functionary needs money he will find out some way to extract it from us .The ignorance of law is no excuse – they have a ready tool to prick you. Either give him a bribe or face trouble. Yes, the bureaucrats need the government It is a matter of survival for them! A poor man buys salt or a rich man earns money by hard, honest work-money is squeezed like sugarcane juice. All the while, the big, BLACK FISH escapes. I hate all governments. If capitals of the nations all over the world are deleted by a clean painless bomb, I shall break 101 coconuts before Ganeshji. Thereafter, we all can live in peace like Eskimos and the tribal people in nineteenth century. 

You may say the government protects us. I am living in Delhi. Who protects us from Blue line buses, thieves, robbers, kidnappers, kidney grabbers, or monkeys? Away, at Naukutchiathal I felt secure and happy.

As we cannot wish away the government, the next choice is to make it of some use. When I was a boy, the governments in Kerala were so shaky that a Parsee gentleman (I forgot his name) was posted as governor with full powers. My uncle was very happy. If he is to be believed, people of my state were happy and wished that the governor’s rule be continued indefinitely. As young man, I experienced emergency rule in1975.Why should I TELL A LIE? Common man was satisfied. By 10 am government offices were full. They were afraid to take bribe which is their birth-right. Trains ran with clock-like precision. Traders were afraid to charge more. For the first time dearness allowance of government servants (why this obnoxious term? Master and servant-smacks of feudal era) decreased. The common man was happy. The political class was angry because of loss of power and income. Sanjay Gandhi became a hyperactive focal point galvanizing the system and could do things (let us be objective) in a short spell. Had he continued, he would have solved the population problem. A teacher once confessed: I had to forcibly undergo vasectomy. Now I am so happy!

I wrote this much just to highlight the difference between active and somnolent states of governance. Russia after the revolution and present day China are glaring examples of active systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment